Carrier Pigeon Beats Broadband

HardOCP News

[H] News
Signs your broadband sucks? How about when a pigeon carrying a 4GB memory stick is faster than your broadband connection?

A Durban IT company pitted an 11-month-old bird armed with a 4GB memory stick against the ADSL service from the country's biggest web firm, Telkom. Winston the pigeon took two hours to carry the data 60 miles - in the same time the ADSL had sent 4% of the data.

Hahaha, that was awesome!

However, it sounds like they were testing the UPLOAD speed of ADSL, which of course sucks. If my math is correct, they were averaging ~200 kbit/s upload speed, which is not at all unexpected for ADSL upload speeds.

fantastic. i dont care what the technicalities say, its embarrassing when you cant even make electricity fly faster then a pigeon.

Use a Beowulf cluster of live carrier pigeons, and live stream HD to multiple customers on memory sticks.

1194154478719vg9.jpg

fantastic. i dont care what the technicalities say, its embarrassing when you cant even make electricity fly faster then a pigeon.

My thoughts exactly! This _Has_ to be a wake-up call for many, many ISPs out there. OTOH, somehow I see environmentalists and hippies going crazy over this in 3... 2... 1....

My thoughts exactly! This _Has_ to be a wake-up call for many, many ISPs out there. OTOH, somehow I see environmentalists and hippies going crazy over this in 3... 2... 1....

A no holds barred match between Greenpeace and PETA. I'm in, as long as they keep their clothes on. For every fine PETA member there are three dogs and an old as hell billy goat, and at least six pigs.

Psht, why stop at 8gb? give the sucker a little necklace of 16gb Micro SD cards. Could probably get 15 of em on there atleast. They weigh almost nothing.

I'll sign up for Pigeoncast. It's better than my 3mbit / $50 a month from Qwest.

While this is amusing, they did rig the results somewhat by making the destination site only 60 miles away. Heck, I could drive that distance faster in my car too, probably.

It fails to account for the beauty of the Internet in eliminating physical distance as a serious, relevant factor in transmission speed. What if the destination had been in the US, rather than 60 miles away in South Africa?

Still, makes you laugh for a minute, and ADSL does suck.

If you have a separate line, can you sync up two of the pigeons for increased bandwidth?

***Old, Old, Old 56k modem trick for those that don't get it***

While this is amusing, they did rig the results somewhat by making the destination site only 60 miles away. Heck, I could drive that distance faster in my car too, probably.

It fails to account for the beauty of the Internet in eliminating physical distance as a serious, relevant factor in transmission speed. What if the destination had been in the US, rather than 60 miles away in South Africa?

Still, makes you laugh for a minute, and ADSL does suck.

In other news, the sky is blue.

I think we all realized it was rigged and strictly a promotional stunt.

Actually this is nothing, I mean hell I can carry a harddrive next door and beat out the data transmission of a gigabit ethernet... ooooooh. If anything it's a wake-up call for laziness, I have 60 gigs of files we need to get to our other office across town, you can either send via DS-3 cable or whatever you have, or you can put the stuff on some media and get a courier to go over there.

That all being said with Pigeoncast if you drop a packet you're fucked :D

This is such a stupid story. Heck, you might as well give a multi GB flash card to Usain Bolt and have him run a couple hundred meters down the street. He'll be faster than fiber! :eek:

:rolleyes:

This is such a stupid story. Heck, you might as well give a multi GB flash card to Usain Bolt and have him run a couple hundred meters down the street. He'll be faster than fiber! :eek:

:rolleyes:
What's really crazy is that Bolt is only 3.45 seconds slower than a CHEETAH.

Guys, You can debate the technicalities all you want.
But to Joe Average this stunt is going to make that ISP look like shit on a stick.

And that was the point of the stunt!

PWNT!!!!

"In recent news, the RIAA announced new anti-pigeon piracy by deploying a large number of hawks."

:p

Back