• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Carputer, need something strong, stable and cool

Whitebread

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 28, 2002
Messages
1,363
I'm planning out a car puter and I've been out of the loop for the last year or so. I'm going to build a car puter to play music, videos, GPS, WiFi, maybe soem vido camera trickery and monitor engine functions. My primary goal for this project is to create something that is stable cool and strong no matter then temperature or vibration. I live in New Jersey and go to school in New York State so temperatures in side the car will vary from as cold as 0 degrees to 110 degrees in car. Also, a quick POST and boot up is important, and I'll probably be running Linux, if not that then Win2K pro or maybe XP pro. I WILL NOT be overclocking.

Ok so I need a Micro ATX board with onboard video at least 4 USB ports, at least 2 PCI slots, at least 1 SATA port, and support for at least 2 gigs of ram.
The majority of my activities will consist of decoding lossy and lossless audio codecs, the occasional high deff audio via a slot load DVD-rom drive, occasionally some videos at standard definition, some internet access, GPS and engine monitoring. I currently have an Opteron 165 in my desktop and it can perform such tasks (except the engine monitoring and GPS, obviously) without problem whatsoever.

I am indifferent as to which brand proc I buy, so long as it isn't more than 140 dollars and stays cool enough to run properly in the summer heat.

Thanks.
 
Back
Top