Carl Sagan’s ‘Cosmos’ Gets a 21st Century Reboot

I'm sorry but I just can't stand this guy's whole demeanor.
I've read that you guys all seem to love him, but he just seems like a bloviator to me.
I'm sure he is very smart but the way he communicates makes him seem like a dumb guy trying to convince you he is smart by talking down to you. Maybe he deserves to talk down to me since I am one level above dumbass but that's not my idea of entertainment. I will admit that his life's work of destroying Pluto didn't help.

Definitely could do the Morgan Freeman thing. He has done an excellent job with Wormhole and I could easily see him traveling through the Cosmos like Sagan did so many times with the show.

I've read that you guys all seem to love him, but he just seems like a bloviator to me.
I'm sure he is very smart but the way he communicates makes him seem like a dumb guy trying to convince you he is smart by talking down to you. Maybe he deserves to talk down to me since I am one level above dumbass but that's not my idea of entertainment. I will admit that his life's work of destroying Pluto didn't help.

Definitely could do the Morgan Freeman thing. He has done an excellent job with Wormhole and I could easily see him traveling through the Cosmos like Sagan did so many times with the show.

he didnt do any thing to Pluto
and what about all the other dwarf planets we have found that are BIGGER then Pluto
science doesnt make exceptions to make you fell good

No, you're thinking about him all wrong.

He has to dumb down everything to the lowest common denomenator when he speaks to large audiences. He's not "talking down" to you. He's trying to make sure everyone in the audience understands what he's saying. That's a trait of any great communicator.

There are videos of him in various 1 on 1s and he tailors his language to his audience.

I never got the holier-than-thou vibe from him at all.

I'm sure he is very smart but the way he communicates makes him seem like a dumb guy trying to convince you he is smart by talking down to you. Maybe he deserves to talk down to me since I am one level above dumbass but that's not my idea of entertainment.

Can you provide a video example of something you perceived as 'talking down'? Why would you call him a 'bloviator' when you yourself admit that he's talking about topics you aren't familiar with?

I will admit that his life's work of destroying Pluto didn't help.
He didn't, but he's associated with it because he made an effort to educate the public about why the change was made.

Back when asteroids were first being discovered they were treated like planets. There are something like 30+ asteroids that were given Greek names and symbols like planets. Eventually astronomers realized there were an enormous number of them and they were reclassified as asteroids. The same thing happened with Pluto, about a decade ago we began to discover that there are a large number of Pluto-like objects in that region of the solar system (which are now called Plutoids). Pluto isn't even the largest one out there, it just happened to be discovered first.

He didn't, but he's associated with it because he made an effort to educate the public about why the change was made.

Back when asteroids were first being discovered they were treated like planets. There are something like 30+ asteroids that were given Greek names and symbols like planets. Eventually astronomers realized there were an enormous number of them and they were reclassified as asteroids. The same thing happened with Pluto, about a decade ago we began to discover that there are a large number of Pluto-like objects in that region of the solar system (which are now called Plutoids). Pluto isn't even the largest one out there, it just happened to be discovered first.

Also, even before we discovered the other objects it was clear that Pluto was a captured object. It did not resemble the other gas giants that formed at that distance, its orbit was not in the ecliptic plane (like the other 8 planets), and its orbit actually crossed that of it's neighbor Neptune. All signs that it either came from the Keiper Belt or outside the Solar System completely :cool:

This is gonna be great. Carl Sagan would approve of Tyson and the modern face-lift the COSMOS experience is getting. I can't wait. Day one blu-ray buy for me.

Also [email protected] post?

he didnt do any thing to Pluto
and what about all the other dwarf planets we have found that are BIGGER then Pluto
science doesnt make exceptions to make you fell good

Science always makes me fell good.

Back