• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Careless Mistake? Too much thermal compound

kalpha

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
164
I received my shipment of XP-90 heatsink, vantec tornado fan, and artic silver 5 thermal compound today. I installed the heatsink to my p4 chip, but carelessly just put on a lot of thermal compound without consulting the instructions(the artic silver didn't come with any paperwork; although there was a notice on the item which said instructions can be found on articsilver.com. I had already shut down my computer and removed the motherboard, so I was too lazy to put it back and go online. Here is how much I SHOULD have put on the chip:

rice.jpg


articsilver5.jpg


But I put on probably 10 times as much since i put it both on the heatsink and cpu. SHould I be worried? My temps dropped down from 41 idle/59 load C to 35/45. This is a huge improvement, although it probably has to do a lot with the loudy tornado fan. Any chance if I put on the correct amount that my temps would drop even more?
 
I did the same thing once but when I fixed it the temps did improve. Having too much can also be dangerous because the compound might come in contact with the pins even though it says it's non-conductive it's still a risk.
 
I wouldn't put it on both the CPU and heatsink.. what i would do is smudge it on the heatsink.. and then wipe of all of it (There will still be little micro specs of it in the imperfections on the heat sink surface.. and then do what they said to do on the artic site.. but i like i said... put it on the heatsink and then wipe it all off..

you'll notice that you won't be able to get it all of the heatsink which is good...
 
Yeah, i'm still a newb at aplying AS but I have seen my temps drop a little bit( 1 degree) when i put less on....
 
i'd get some acetone, remove the stuff you put on, and do it over. just to be on the safe side.

it will probably help in the long run, and practice makes perfect.
 
Back
Top