Career in virtualization/Cloud computing/Networking?

I'm planning on taking a Computer Systems Technology - Networking at a local college in Toronto. But where do you go from there?

I would love to work towards consolidation of hardware both because the technology interests me and the environmental aspect of more efficient computing. Things like using a single PC in the home with multiple Virtual Desktops delivered via Ethernet to Ethernet enabled displays is something I'd like to work on making a reality. Or even getting rid of the home PC altogether for the average PC user and delivering multiple virtual desktops over the internet to a consumers home displays or mobile devices.

Any ideas of the best way to educate myself to work in fields related to that?

Ask the college if they allow for student workers in their IT dept and gain some experience while you're in school. Part-time college work will always look better on a Resume than another entry-level position like geek squad or something.

Typically (atleast at the university i work at) virtualized desktops are handled by systems engineers. You should decide whether your passion is virtualization / server admin or networking.

Take the classes, and try to get involved in the NCG (New College Grad) program at VMware. We have an office in Toronto that hires from it :)

I would recommend having an interest in both networking and virtualization. Both are hot careers right now, and you can make a great living off either. But if you know *both*, it will be highly, highly beneficial to you.

I know a guy who's a VCDX and a Cisco CCNP. He's highly sought after.

I know a guy who's a VCDX and a Cisco CCNP. He's highly sought after.

Doesn't hurt that there is only 104 of us (VCDXs) in the world. Even so.... I'm not sure I'd have many less opportunities without my VCDX. Good people in this field are hard to find no matter what.

So what should I focus on?

I'm thinking obviously CCNA and VCP4?
Then work on VCDX and CCNP/CCDE after that?
What about MCA?

Doesn't hurt that there is only 104 of us (VCDXs) in the world. Even so.... I'm not sure I'd have many less opportunities without my VCDX. Good people in this field are hard to find no matter what.

Whenever I get sick of traveling, Varrow is #1 on my list to call :)

So what should I focus on?

I'm thinking obviously CCNA and VCP4?
Then work on VCDX and CCNP/CCDE after that?
What about MCA?

My recommendation (I'm a Cisco certified instructor):

Get your CCNA and VCP5 (it's a better test than the VCP4 anyway).

After that, VCAP5 (DCA or DCD). There's an excellent series of podcasts and webex's call vBrownBag for the pursuit of VCAP certs. Great way to study and learn from some really smart people.

VCDX is a large investment in time and money. You're probably a few years away from even deciding, unless you can dedicate most of your working hours to pursuit of these certs. Similar in scope to a Cisco CCIE.

If you find the CCNA too challenging at first, you can start with CCENT, which is Cisco's entry level cert. Most consider CCNA entry level, but it's a bit higher. After you get the CCNA, you can go for the CCNP, or start the CCNA Data Center track (just recently announced), if you have access to the Nexus equipment (there's nothing like DynaMIPs/GNS3 for Nexus kit right now). Otherwise, regular CCNP would be more achievable because you can use a virtual lab or build you own lab for a few $K.

I like the Data Center track mainly because it's data center centric, and doesn't get into things you'd never see in a modern data center, like frame relay (ugghhh).

I see a lot of system administrators who have transitioned to virtualization and still don't know networking all that well. I was one of them (former condescending Unix administrator) I also see a lot of router jockeys trying to ignore the virtualization stack. I think both are a mistake. With VMware (and MS and Citrix to lesser extents) getting deeper and deeper into the networking stack, and Cisco getting deeper into the server/virtualization track, the line is blurring.

With technologies like OTV, VXLAN, LISP, Nicira, NVGRE, TRILL, and a lot more, it's getting very difficult to separate the network from the server these days. So learn both.

Tony hit the nail on the head. At least get your CCNA and work towards VMware certifications. Having knowledge in both networking and virtualization will help with getting your foot in the door somewhere.

In my current role I deal specifically with the datacenter with some standard networking thrown in for the rest of the campus. I focus mainly on VMware, EMC storage, and Cisco Nexus/MDS hardware and technologies. I am currently studying for CCIE Datacenter however I am taking a short break to get my VCP5 cert. I have had my CCNP for 11 years now however with my job focus changing it makes more sense for me to pursue the CCIE Datacenter track since that is the area that I really enjoy as well as I am getting more hands-on experience with the hardware and technology that track covers.

Edit:
So my best advice would be to work on those certifications to help you get your foot in the door. Do not be discouraged if you have to start out in an entry level position. Just work hard and always be on the lookout for oportunities to advance not just to a higher paying position but to a position that can offer you more experience in those areas that you enjoy. While pay is important, that experience is even more important. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I'd echo what others have said but will also point out the need for training from VMware to actually acquire the VCP certification.

My job has me working with VMware, EMC storage, and Cisco UCS servers as a consultant. It all started when I convinced a previous employer to send me to a VMware class. That allowed me to get the VCP3 and then I took the VCP4 3 months after that.

Today I work for a great company that believes in training its people. I've volunteered for expanding my role beyond VMware and have since taken EMC and Cisco UCS training and become certified in both. Now I'm moving deeper into VMware and even teaching myself some Hyper-V.

Moral of the story is to get the VCP you'll need training. Once you have the certification, it can be a great foot in the door that will allow you to expand into other areas when paired with a desire to learn and a company that wants to train you.

I would like to add on to what Child of Wonder said. A VMware training course is needed for the VCP certification and that training course does cost some money. I don't know what you have available in Toronto, but here in the States community colleges are becoming VMware Academies and they are offering those training courses much cheaper than other VMware training partners. For me the course cost $175 and it was all online. You may want to check to see if any colleges near you are a VMware Academy. It could save you a good little chunk of change.

For me the course cost $175 and it was all online. You may want to check to see if any colleges near you are a VMware Academy. It could save you a good little chunk of change.

Wow, I wish that was a possibility 5 years ago. It took almost a year to convince my previous employer to send me to training. Had there been a $175 alternative, I would have paid for it myself!

You should also look into some operating system based training like the MCTS/MCITP track. Knowing the virtualization stack up and down will only get you so far just like a CCNA.

Remember that there will always be an operating system running in those VMs. While there are some "right-sizing/resource nazi" products available, getting it right from the beginning will save an outage tweaking VM settings.

This. Most IT people are crap.

For me the course cost $175 and it was all online.

Which school offered this? I paid $1500 about 6 months ago, which is still a deal compared to the non academy courses. There were only two online courses that I could find at the time and both were >$1000. $175 is a steal. Just curious so I can direct others there.

tonyb said:
start the CCNA Data Center track (just recently announced)

I see that this doesn't require CCNA as a prerequisite. Any comments about how the two of these are related? Will CCNA Data Center generally be acquired after CCNA? Or will it perhaps start to replace CCNA as the basic Cisco cert (not including CCENT)?

Back