Cards for 2B Catleap

Sowexly

Gawd
I've heard good things about the modified drivers for the 7000 series so I was thinking of grabbing a pair of 7970s to run things but the price point of the 670 is very damn attractive I just don't know which one to go with...

I think AMD hits higher refresh rates in crossfire than Nvidia can in SLI but it won't matter if the games are stuttering.

Search the thread.

This has been disused a million times.

Summary: Everything is priced accordingly now. 670 is 400 7970 is 450 680 is 500. Set a budget and buy one of the above.

Yes if I was looking at the reference 7970 and 670 but I'm not.
The Lighting 7970 is 530 and the Power Edition 670 is 430.

The thread was not just pricing but benefits of each...

I've had a reference 7970 and now a dcu2 top 670 and the difference is very minor. The only stark difference is the ram and even then it's not important.

Even the drivers didn't make that much of a difference like I thought they would.

Games that stuttered before still stutter now (maybe not as much). Games that ran smooth run smooth now.

Pick a card and run with it. Just don't buy shitty brands.

I do like the asus dcu2 cooler though, it's a great cooler.

Alright then the next question is would it be wise to go 3-way or is that overkill?
I know good joke I'm on [H] why of course I should go 3-way

If you want two cards, get Kepler; and read the [H]s reviews (at least!) beforehand. They tell you straight up what you'll need, and why you want Nvidia for multi-GPU this round.

If you want two cards, get Kepler; and read the [H]s reviews (at least!) beforehand. They tell you straight up what you'll need, and why you want Nvidia for multi-GPU this round.
Read review from all around most are old or show that they are damn close.
I've heard mixed things from both sides so that doesn't help really.

I also need to ensure the card has Dual Link DVI which I believe the Lighting 7970 does not, so that kinda kills that idea.

Read review from all around most are old or show that they are damn close.
I've heard mixed things from both sides so that doesn't help really.

I also need to ensure the card has Dual Link DVI which I believe the Lighting 7970 does not, so that kinda kills that idea.

The reviews you should be looking at are at the [H] and at Techreport. Both go further than reporting FPS numbers to tell you how 'smooth' a particular setup is. The [H] guys even bench BF3 MP for you, and they specifically state that Nvidia's cards are smoother in a 2+ scenario more than once, despite AMD's cards turning out the same or faster numbers.

The reviews you should be looking at are at the [H] and at Techreport. Both go further than reporting FPS numbers to tell you how 'smooth' a particular setup is. The [H] guys even bench BF3 MP for you, and they specifically state that Nvidia's cards are smoother in a 2+ scenario more than once, despite AMD's cards turning out the same or faster numbers.
Yes I did see that but the niche things like Skyrim with mods aren't on any major sites, and 12.7 drivers from AMD were said to be a major step in the right direction.

Not to mention the current drivers from Nvidia limit the refresh rate for the 2B revision where as AMD can still hit 120+

Yes I did see that but the niche things like Skyrim with mods aren't on any major sites, and 12.7 drivers from AMD were said to be a major step in the right direction.

Not to mention the current drivers from Nvidia limit the refresh rate for the 2B revision where as AMD can still hit 120+

Nvidia provides the performance now- if AMD gets their act together in the future and real reviews reflect that, then I'm all for recommending their products.

As for the 120Hz thing, you're really stretching into the unknown. It's cool and I'm aware that many specs, such as DP and newer HDMI versions, support faster refresh rates at higher resolutions than we commonly see, and that most monitors can do much better than the 16.5ms that 60Hz provides for, but looks like such monitors are available as grey market imports only.

Nvidia provides the performance now- if AMD gets their act together in the future and real reviews reflect that, then I'm all for recommending their products.

As for the 120Hz thing, you're really stretching into the unknown. It's cool and I'm aware that many specs, such as DP and newer HDMI versions, support faster refresh rates at higher resolutions than we commonly see, and that most monitors can do much better than the 16.5ms that 60Hz provides for, but looks like such monitors are available as grey market imports only.
Yes I agree, and I'm now looking at some 670 SLI reviews and I have to say the scaling is very impressive.

But the important part is having drivers that allow me to overclock the Catleap to the highest possible refresh rate, so while a gray market monitor I will be running one.

Back