Card to run Oblivion everything highest

MrSatan said:
Im getting tired of people whining about the change in graphics. Obviously the developers decided that the engine couldnt handle the things they removed smoothly enough. Developers aren't gonna get rid of stuff just to spite people and piss them off. Either they are under time constraints or the technical side of it is flawed. I mean sure they have promised and been hyping up the graphics for months now, but what game doesnt do that. I mean look at fable and all it promised and in the end it left people somewhat dissapointed, but it was still a fun and engaging game. Play the game and see if the lack of shadows are really gonna effect the gameplay all that much.

So far in this thread you're the only one to bring it up.

phide said:
Nobody's denying this, but if, as someone else has said, only 10% of PC owners can enjoy the experience, what's the point of developing it for the PC at all.

Here's hoping they turn things around for the next iteration of the Elder Scrolls series. Unreal Engine 3.0, guys. It's time to get on the bus.

Using a specific engine does not garauntee good performance....try out Vampie, it uses the HL2 engine and runs as bad as DeusEx 1 and Morrowind did.

I really don't think it matters what engine they used, with the view distance and the heavy shader use, this game would run poorly on just about any engine.

For the most part, the people that really care about the eye candy are going to have the stuff to crank it up. The other people will enjoy the game on medium settings, since most Elder Scrolls players don't worry about it too much.

I think that Pete Hines mentioned somewhere that they're going to develope the next game using the existing engine, so with just a few bells and whistles added it should run jsut fine on everyones rig when it comes out. Hopefully this means that they'll be developing Fallout 3 and Elder Scrolls 5 at the same time.

MrSatan said:
Im getting tired of people whining about the change in graphics. Obviously the developers decided that the engine couldnt handle the things they removed smoothly enough. Developers aren't gonna get rid of stuff just to spite people and piss them off. Either they are under time constraints or the technical side of it is flawed. I mean sure they have promised and been hyping up the graphics for months now, but what game doesnt do that. I mean look at fable and all it promised and in the end it left people somewhat dissapointed, but it was still a fun and engaging game. Play the game and see if the lack of shadows are really gonna effect the gameplay all that much.

It was played on lower settings is what you saw. The higher settings are still there. :rolleyes: Do you really beleave this game has the best graphics in the whole world that haven't been done before? Alot of games are graphicaly impressave these days. This is one of them, but there is no limitations or wall they hit. At the end they may get abit lazy sure, or hit probuction limits. But they didn't take anything out of the game to make it look worse. Man stay upto date on facts before you figure what you think happened. Its only limited to the system its played on not by what the developers made the graphics to look. They made the game to run on the limits of the most advanced GPU's. Like Doom 3 was made to do the same in its day.

I'm getting tired of ppl saying stuff about this game like they think they are the developers and know it all just automaticly. Its silly how they go on and on before the game has even came out or they think they know stuff only the developers would know. Ppl wait until the game comes out. Geeze this is just like how it was with RE4. >.=.> Wait until the developers confirm these so call graphical changes? Just because you so called seen the game look worse one min from a previewer then better from another think before you say. They simply had it on the max settings there hardware could take not the game. Most games now adays max out the GPU before the GPU maxes out the games graphical build. lol

Serge84 said:
Blah Blah Blah

Did you even read his post? All you did was repeat it and blather on even more.

For the love of god people take this crap outside.

00fil00 said:
Just a fun one here as i know no one really knows, but what card in your best judgement do you think it will take to run oblivion everything maxed for a) 1280x1024 and b) 2048X1536? Everything in between can be guessed at from those 2 resolutions. There is recommended specs out i know but recommended and everything smooth and maxed is totally different. This is the game i just upgraded my whole rig and to an opteron for.

Well, 2048x1536 is about 4x the resolution that the Xbox360 runs at, and with such a heavily shader dependant game those extra pixels will take a lot to push, especially with AA. In order to do that you'd need something significantly more powerful than the 360. A heavily over clocked pair of GTX 512's might od it, but they'd struggle.

More than 10% of pc owners will be able to play Oblivion; the engine is very hardware scaleable. Its only 3D geeks like us who have to have EVERYTHING cranked that are really feeling the urge to upgrade!

I've just sold some old parts (and did surprisingly well), so my whole "wait for DX10" thing has been dropped, and I'm swapping out my 6800GT for an X1900XT (if you're reading this Masher, you were right, there was no way I could wait that long!). Oblivion here we come aye!!! :D :D :D

Cabezone said:
For the most part, the people that really care about the eye candy are going to have the stuff to crank it up. The other people will enjoy the game on medium settings, since most Elder Scrolls players don't worry about it too much.

I think that Pete Hines mentioned somewhere that they're going to develope the next game using the existing engine, so with just a few bells and whistles added it should run jsut fine on everyones rig when it comes out. Hopefully this means that they'll be developing Fallout 3 and Elder Scrolls 5 at the same time.

I agree with the first statement, but, I think it's kinda funny on the elder scrolls forums. They think this game is the second coming of Jesus or something, and that it will have no flaws or slowdowns at MAXED settings, 1280x1024, on 6800 series (nu's), X800pros, and BELOW. They are hyping it up so much, I think they need to get a little realistic about performance with completely maxed settings. As for higher framerates at moderate settings, well, I would hope so. But you know, games like CoD2 don't really see huge gains with cutting back on effects or AA, just resolution...

As for using the same engine for TES5, that would be great, because, hopefully it will make the dev time a little shorter =)

Cabezone said:
Using a specific engine does not garauntee good performance....try out Vampie, it uses the HL2 engine and runs as bad as DeusEx 1 and Morrowind did.

Building a house requires a solid foundation.

I've never had any issues with Deus Ex (aside from some of the specific things Ion did). It's easy to look back and say "this was a good engine" by playing some of these older titles on today's technology. Quake 3 powered games and Unreal powered games seem to have no limitations in how they scale with current hardware while Morrowind seems to be completely oblvious to hardware changes. My current rig, which is about as top of the line as you can get, still has some trouble drawing the world that Bethesda crafted. With other games of the same visual and logical plateau, I'm flying.

I think it's fairly easy to assume that Bethesda really has no idea what's going on with the engines they use. They can provide the gameplay, add in off-the-shelf shaders and generally make things work, but, from all indications, they don't understand the core foundation that they're building on top of, and this is a very real problem. They seem completely uninterested in learning or uninterested in hiring anyone to keep things on the right footing.

I am guessing that the guy meant Vampire the Masquarade. There was nothing fundamentally wrong with the engine in that game. Actually it ran fairly well, the problem was that is was plagued by glitches. They didnt have enough development time and the dev house was losing money and about to go out of business, so they released a shoddy game. Also Deus Ex ran fine, it was just another game with glitch problems. They just needed more time in the beta test stage to get things ironed out. There is a difference between not being optimized so that it runs well and having glitches in gameplay. Hopefully Oblivion is fairly glitch free and well optimized.

Neither the first Deus Ex or the new Vampire game ran well. I'm not talking about bugs, I'm talking about performance. they both still run like ass, no matter what the system. Yet they were both based on very good engines.

I remember a fire shader in Bloodlines that pulled my old 9800Pro down to 8-9 fps......

Well, for shits and giggles, I just installed Deus Ex on this machine and fumbled through the process of patching it up. I didn't run any benchmarks, but I cranked it as high as it would allow and I didn't see any indications of any slowdowns. I recall having no problem running Deus Ex at 1600x1200/4xAA on my old Athlon 600/GeForce 2 GTS Pro rig, though I certainly could be mistaken.

The newer, somewhat more graphically complex Morrowind frequently drops to the 40's. For reference, I'm running on a highly overclocked Opteron 170, an XTX and a couple gigs of RAM. I'm blasting through the most visually advanced games on the market today, but Morrowind still seems to be an issue.

phide said:
Well, for shits and giggles, I just installed Deus Ex on this machine and fumbled through the process of patching it up. I didn't run any benchmarks, but I cranked it as high as it would allow and I didn't see any indications of any slowdowns. I recall having no problem running Deus Ex at 1600x1200/4xAA on my old Athlon 600/GeForce 2 GTS Pro rig, though I certainly could be mistaken.

The newer, somewhat more graphically complex Morrowind frequently drops to the 40's. For reference, I'm running on a highly overclocked Opteron 170, an XTX and a couple gigs of RAM. I'm blasting through the most visually advanced games on the market today, but Morrowind still seems to be an issue.

I never said Morrowind ran well, I pointed out that when Deus Ex came out, the best machines at the time had to run at 800x600 to make it work. Vampire runs at about half the speed of HL2 and looks much worse. Just having a good engine doesn't mean it will run well.

I don't see how running a 5-6yo game on todays hardware invalidates that point. Morrowind is also 2 years newer. I assure you it will run just fine on the latest card of 2007, just as Deus ex runs ok on todays cards.

I remember running Deus Ex on my Geforce 2 Ultra and I remember being thoroughly satisfied. I still don't remember any of those issues that you talk about. I do agree with you about Vampire though, they didnt have enough optimization time. But I still do like that game, I beat it actually, could have been great if they smoothed things out.

dderidex said:
If so, it'd be nice if someone would mention if the game supported any advanced EAX modes.

That's what I'm REALLY wondering about. Graphics get all the headlines, so we can all rest assured that the game will run on mainstream PCs, if not great; and will run GREAT on cutting-edge graphics cards.

But that doesn't tell us how it will sound. Is this an EAX1/2-only game? Or does it bring on the occlusion effects and such of newer EAX versions?

One of the weird things about 'Morrowind' being EAX1/2 only was that you could start chatting with someone in front of a building, and walk around the side of the building so they are no longer in your line-of-sight, yet you still hear their voice coming from the direction they are in, at the distance they are, as if no building was there at all.

It'd be nice to see introduced to the series some of the effects the newer Soundblaster cards support!

I agree wholeheartedly. If the difference in sound that the new EAX 3+ modes make is probably the single biggest leap in sound in the last several years. Realistic occlusion REALLY makes you feel like you're there, and you can REALLY tell where sounds are coming from, and not just their direction. Sure the sound is coming from your left, but is it coming from in that well, behind that shack, or just out in the open?

Hearing choppers come from behind the hills in BF2 is pretty kickass I must say. I hadn't noticed until I had to get rid of my old nforce2 with Soundstorm. I threw my old Audigy into my new rig and man that EAX is sweet :) I have kind of a love/hate relationship with old Creative.

Back on subject, though-- I hope I can at least play 1024x768 2xaa 8xaf with most visual settings maxed. A new vid card is not in the budget till summer :/

MrSatan said:
I remember running Deus Ex on my Geforce 2 Ultra and I remember being thoroughly satisfied. I still don't remember any of those issues that you talk about. I do agree with you about Vampire though, they didnt have enough optimization time. But I still do like that game, I beat it actually, could have been great if they smoothed things out.

You may have a much lower tolerance for low FPS than most people:

"But in consequence of such detail, the game tends to run slowly even on high-end computer systems."

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/deusex/review.html?page=2&q=

I assure you it was quite irritating for a lot of people. They did patch it bringing the performance to just bad instead of terrible.

People who demand 1280x1024 or higher usually have LCDs that have that native resolution. Thats why I demand it and am a bit worried about playing Oblivion at 1280x1024 on my 7800GT at near high settings, sacrificing HDR and soft shadow effects to increase performance.

People with CRTs can just play 1024x768 and have just as good of picture. I don't like the colors on CRTs though so I would never go back.

It is rediculous that today's games are so demanding that $400 cards 6 months ago are already struggling.

However, we may be overhyping the demands of this game.

Back