card reader problems...

antok86

[H]F Junkie
something happend with my card reader causing my computer to lock up on certian open windows and causes to boot slower than usual. i think something happened with the drivers or something.
i booted into safe mode and uninstalled all of the usb related stuff except the intel.

was this the right thing to do? and booted back into windows to have it reinstall. but this didnt seem to work..should i reboot backinto safe mode for it to reinstall?

also usb from the back of the mobo everything works fine..just when i connect to usb header.

s-1.jpg

What drive letters are assigned to the card reader? Did you recently reinstall Windows?

The only time I've seen something like this--this being that spread of devices--it's because of multiple failed driver installs, or an incompatible driver. It looks like when you've been trying to get it to work, it's logging each driver entry and and not "ejecting" the device files, giving the illusion that you have multiple devices. That would certainly explain the slowness, etc.

Can you give me a snapshot of your device manager with the "system devices" and "disk drives" expanded, and also a snapshot of your running services from the MSCONFIG utility (because there you can check the box "hide all microsoft services" to clean up the view). If it's too spammy to post it here, send it as a private message or to the maingear address and post here to let me know you've responded.

The only time I've seen something like this--this being that spread of devices--it's because of multiple failed driver installs, or an incompatible driver. It looks like when you've been trying to get it to work, it's logging each driver entry and and not "ejecting" the device files, giving the illusion that you have multiple devices. That would certainly explain the slowness, etc.

Can you give me a snapshot of your device manager with the "system devices" and "disk drives" expanded, and also a snapshot of your running services from the MSCONFIG utility (because there you can check the box "hide all microsoft services" to clean up the view). If it's too spammy to post it here, send it as a private message or to the maingear address and post here to let me know you've responded.

ill try and get one...what would be the fix for this? was this the cause of not properly ejecting devices?

with the card reader plugged or unplugged?

With the card reader plugged in, please.

When I see those snapshots, I'll have a better idea of where to go.

One potential fix--if you wanted to take the easy way out, which I certainly wouldn't blame you for doing--is to go back to a system restore date where you know that everything was working correctly. That will work in a lot of cases where you think it's driver related but aren't certain.

Hm. If you have some time this week and are ok with the idea, let's set up a time where I can remote in and trim your services/boot items for you. Looking at what's running in the background, your issue may have more to do with the stuff running on start up than with the card reader...you just notice it more when trying to use the reader. Can you think of anything you installed or updated around the time this started happening aside from the reader?

no not that i can recall. when i have the card reader plugged in it seems fine untill i plug in a flash drive in teh usb port or a memory card then it will lock up the window. But the usb on my I/O on the back of the mobo is fine since i have other usb devices connected to this

Last edited:
You know, it could just be that your card reader is bad since it happens with both cards and USB. They're relatively inexpensive...you could try a new one, and just take it back to the store if it turns out that you still have the problem.

You know, it could just be that your card reader is bad since it happens with both cards and USB. They're relatively inexpensive...you could try a new one, and just take it back to the store if it turns out that you still have the problem.

could be ...this is my second one though..

would it be bad to plug or unplug it from the usb header while the pc is on?

SO...the "correct" answer is that you should never tamper with the inside of your system without cutting it off, pulling the plug, and grounding yourself.

Have I ever unplugged the header while the PC is on...well, yeah. I admit that I have.

As far as it being your second one during the life of your system, I'm not really surprised. I've seen them fail really often...Mitsumis were the WORST (oh, my god, I can't even express how bad those were). It's worth a try, and it's probably the least labor intensive of your options.

well i have tried another card reader...i get some problems..sometimes it wont even boot into windows until i unplug the card reader from the header. also have since freshly installed windows 7 which i thought would deal with it if it were a usb driver conflict which in this case was not. might be bad usb headers or something. i might wait for a bios update but so far i havent come across this problem in my research on google

I think at this point you've ruled out most of the variables, and I think you're spot on with the header diagnosis. I wish it was something more quick and easy than that, though.:(

I think at this point you've ruled out most of the variables, and I think you're spot on with the header diagnosis. I wish it was something more quick and easy than that, though.:(

yea it kinda sucks. i might just run a usb to the back of my computer since my case has a slot fo water cooling tubing. might be my only choice. i dont think right now i would do an RMA just for that unless something else got messed up

Back