• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Card Reader Problem

Ryck

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 7, 2003
Messages
345
Recently I have been doing a lot of short video shoots. Now I am beginning to get into the process of editing them. I have discovered that both my media readers do not detect any sd cards. The USB port functions on both, just not the other media ports. The operating system is Windows 8.1, and one reader on one computer is attached to a USB 2 header, and the other computer has the other reader connected to a USB 3 header. I have replaced the one on the USB 3 header with a new reader, but to no avail. I have tried the cards on 2 of my Window 7 machines and they are recognized with no problem.

Thank you for all of you help in advance.
 
Try running USB Oblivion with the readers unplugged, reboot, replug and try again.
 
Sorry for taking a while getting back, but practice, studies, plus work leaves little time. I tried doing what you instructed but it did not work. I uninstalled the usb drivers under device drivers and let windows re-detect them. That worked, but I have had to do that several times as the problem comes back no and again.

Doesn't take long to do that, but it is still annoying because it should no be doing this.
 
Sorry for taking a while getting back, but practice, studies, plus work leaves little time. I tried doing what you instructed but it did not work. I uninstalled the usb drivers under device drivers and let windows re-detect them. That worked, but I have had to do that several times as the problem comes back no and again.

Doesn't take long to do that, but it is still annoying because it should no be doing this.

This sounds familiar to a DVD reader I used to have. It worked when I reinstalled it, but it would always fail again later. I think I chalked it up to it being dead/dying/failing.
 
I would agree with you, but for the fact that it has happened on 3 different readers on two different machines. One connected to a USB 3.0 header and the other to a 2.0 header. The only difference being is that I had switched to Windows 8.1 on both machines, then the problem started to surface. I now have a perfectly good USB 3.0 Card reader sitting in the back, as I actually thought that the one went bad so I replaced it.
 
Back
Top