Card Over-Heating

Alenkenez

n00b
I have a GeForce 9800 GT and lately it's been overheating. My Speedfan says it's at around 75c just at desktop, doing nothing. If I play a game for a couple minutes my FPS will drop to about 3 for 30 seconds to go back to normal. So is it time to replace the graphic card or is there something I'm missing?

Is the fan actually working? Is it plugged with dust? Generally things don't just start overheating. I mean, it's not like the gpu hsf somehow stopped transferring heat. But if the fan is no longer working....

are the fins in the heatsink clogged? is your case and case fans clean? have you tried running the video card fan at 100%? does it still overheat? have you tried updating drivers?

The heat sink seems fine, the Entire case and fan have been cleaned, the drivers are updated, and the fan is at 100% AND theres a house fan blowing in the side.

what drivers are you using?

have you tried reseating the heatsink? if not this is probably the best option.

when you touch the heatsink is it hot or cold? if its hot then its working if not then you definitely need to reseat the heatsink.

and just for the sake of double checking a basic common sense thing, is the fan annoyingly loud at 100% or quiet? i had a problem with my 8800GS where the fan would stay at 30% or completely shut off no matter what i did with the fan controls(used multiple programs including nvidia's fan control), later found the problem was a driver conflict with windows sp1 being installed.

Back