• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Card best for interfacing with receiver?

Argher

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 23, 2004
Messages
374
I'm moving from a PC speaker setup (the creative megaworks 6.1) to a real, full-blown, multi-thousand dollar home theater setup (yes, insert drools here :D). As a result, I want to output all my sound to those speakers. My PC is quiet enough to run as a HTPC anyway, so that's fine.

The question is - Which card has the best pathway for analog outs to the receiver? I would use a cheap SPDIF card a la the Chaintech, but I'm concerned with positional sound during gaming / uncompressed format DVD movies as well.

Any ideas?

Also, I have heard that a PC is a great transfer to a receiver, better than most standalone DVD players. What are your thoughts, oh perhaps-pseudo-audiophiles residing herein?
 
If you decide on a SoundBlaster solution, only get a X-Fi, since that is the only driver set that has the option for proper LFE output with Bass Management. (+15dB gain) It's an old problem on Audigys.
 
Why don't you try something like the BlueGears cards?
http://www.bluegears.com/

They have Dolby Digital Live and are really good in games too, delivering the Positional audio in the DD Live.

I would wait (like I am doing) for the DTS version though, they are to be out in jan to march 2006.

Regards.
 
as Chastity said, if your concern is analog output, then x-fi. there's no other decision. if you are gonig to game. x-fi it is.
 
Santroph, thanks for the link to BlueGears. I had COMPLETELY forgotten about them, heard of them years ago. I wonder how much the new card will be?
 
If it's anything like the Mystique Gold 7.1, then it should be a gamer's disappointment, like it was for me.
 
Back
Top