Carbon3D Unveils Breakthrough 3D Printing Technology

First thought I have is that they're going to patent this to prevent anyone from using this to give them exclusive monopoly over the market using this method.

Did not read article.

As interesting as the speed, the quality of the output looks really good considering it hasn't had any post-processing (Which most 3D printed things need a lot of). It looks a lot smoother than most 3D printer's output in the microscope picture too.

If price for this technology gets down to the semi-reasonable level (and it's reasonably reliable, which most inexpensive 3D printers are not) I can see a lot of people picking one up.

For convenience:

dia.png

Carbon3D / 3DPrint

aa4.png

Carbon3D / 3DPrint

aa3.png

Carbon3D / 3DPrint

cc.png

Carbon3D / 3DPrint

aa5.png

Carbon3D / 3DPrint

clip3.jpg

sciencemag.org

clip4.jpg

sciencemag.org

clip5.jpg

sciencemag.org

clip6.jpg

Carbon3D / 3DPrint

This is definitely impressive. I think the major issue with 3d printing has always been the time it took. Now with this, it would be a matter of minutes to have it printed. If the printer is fairly cheap, then I can see lots of people buying one of these things.

Yeah this is nice but wake me up when its like Star Trek.

That is a long time to wait. This is pretty fast and amazing if you have ever had to do 3d printing in a company. To those that havent i guess this wouldnt seem that amazing.

This is really nice compared to current 3D printing methods. This will be something worth watching to see where it goes.

Very cool. The 3D printers I have used are S-O S-L-O-W.

I'm with Ultima99 - wake me up when its like Star Trek :) (Or when the chocolate printer comes out. I saw an article about one a while back)

So tired of plastic! mostly because of my last few cars i had to sell because all of the plastic parts. like visor mirror covers, seat lever, front grill and so on broke during winter. If that cant "fix" plastic ill have to just stop buying new and start hunting old.

Cool tech, but the post-treatment is more problematic. as I recall you need to use hazardous chemicals to clean 3D resin cured parts.

The resolution on that thing looks FANTASTIC. I wonder if there's any limits on tray size? I could see this being VERY useful for rapid prototyping.

Pretty neat.

Can it do multiple colors?

How durable is the final material?

I've been waiting for 3d printing to come down in price.

TY Cerulean, OMG THE LEVEL OF PECISION POSSIBLE!!!

+1 on the thanks for the info. Damn that is precise you can get. Now the question is how does that affect time? Those time graphs are unreal, but are those for the janky level of precision of other 3d printers? Or can you get that level of precision in that super fast time.

This is credible , both the time and precision improvements (or should we say , colossal leap)
a few years down the road this will be consumer level technology.

I love the visual if it pulling items out of a puddle of magic life goo. Looks awesome!

Back