Carbon Fibre and molds

Grazehell

2[H]4U
Just wanted to know what is working with Carbon fiber like? It should be like fiber glass, sanding and cutting wise right? Does anyone know where to purchase the mat and resin also? I tired seaching a Marine hardware store site but their search engine is messing up today and ace hardwared does not have.
I also need some kind of modeling putty to make a mold for something anyone have suggestions?

Here is the plan, I intend to make a carbon fiber lid for my laptop, No not because I am jumping on the band wagon but because my series of laptops had problems with the hinge and would crack the lip with constant use.All you emachine and gateway people I feel for you(yeah and these cheap notebook lids are still being produced).
Hey maybe if it comes out well who know what could be in store for you guys!

CF is not easy to work with by the way. In fact unless you have an automated machine it is down right painful. At least you have a prefabricated template(the existing cover) that you can mold to. Why wouldn't you consider aluminum instead?

codegoblin said:
CF is not easy to work with by the way. In fact unless you have an automated machine it is down right painful. At least you have a prefabricated template(the existing cover) that you can mold to. Why wouldn't you consider aluminum instead?

Well I suggested carbon fiber because I am familar with Fiber glass and can work with it just fine. I think they use the same resins if I am not mistaken(this is why I asked).
Aluminum? The only aluminum I have worked with is the foil(like to rap my sandwiches), other I am thinking with Aluminum you will need a big expensive sheet that you are only going to use like 1/4 if that much along with a moleded press.
I will stick to carbon fiber cant be anyone more difficult than fiber glass to work with they are both composites nearly as strong as each other, carbon fiber may only be lighter.

There was a guy here that built a Carbo fiber motherboard tray for his SUN case mod I will really have search [H]ard to drag that up.

Carbon fiber has some issues, but it is not that much harder to work with than fiberglass.

It is tough to cut (once cured). It will wear out your tools

Uncured, the fibers are very irritating to you skin (like fiberglasss)

Typically the same resins that work for fiberglass will work for carbon fiber. As long as you are not building a critical structural member (like an airplaine spar), I'd just use what you are used to.

Just like fiberglass, depending on the weave, it may or may not drape the way you want.

Carbon fiber is much more expensive than fiberglass. For small quanities, I would try some place like Aircraft spuce and specialties: .http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cm/carbonfiber.html

You could do what I and many other M6809 owners did and use electrical tape over the cracks :p Doesn't look as bad as you'd think. I'll get some pics when I get home.

There is a place locally here (WI) called Midwest Plastics that works with carbon fiber. Had a few project ideas for it, but it's so damned expensive...They've got a website though if you're really interested....

spydermonkey said:
You could do what I and many other M6809 owners did and use electrical tape over the cracks :p Doesn't look as bad as you'd think. I'll get some pics when I get home.

well mine is not cracked as yet I may only have close and open the thing 10 times since I got it, yeah the system is nearly brand new.Had it 2 months. I would just like a permanent fix for the problem and a nice and doable mod to take on.

Thanks for answering my questions guys

Back