Car oil for heat sink :)

Hmm are we talking a Watercooling rig that uses oil instead? Or maybe moding a waterblock to hold oil without being pumped?

Kind of a vague question if you ask me.

Car oil is meant to lubricate and to withstand heat, not really transfer it. Probably a bad idea.

But then again, I remember those articles with guys using peanut butter, chocolate, and margerine as thermal material for their heatsinks, and the different was only 6 degrees celcius, compared to artic silver.

....course they were using old 466 celerons.....

well i'll wait till the day we all use reservoirs with gold fishies inside em and miniture jumping fish swimming across the tubes is the standard for watercooling

and yes milk is better than water, it helps build strong seals for the radiator and blocks

also, i found that baby oil mixed with vapo rub performs slightly better than arctic silver 5 products

..or not

i cant believe i dream about this stuff when i sleep. oh wait what was the topic?

Try it and tell us how things turned out!

Seriously, tho. I would not recommend the use of oil as a thermal paste, and here's why:

Using Schaum's Outlines on Heat Transfer (all I had sitting near me at the time), and using properties of liquids in a saturated state: the k value for engine oil at 20C is 0.145 W/m*K. That of water (for argument's sake) at 20C is 0.597 W/m*K. But since thermal paste is basically a suspension of metallic/nonmetallic particles, let's take a look at silver (Ag): 419 W/m*K. And for polycrystalline aluminum oxide, the k value is 36 W/m*K at 30C.

So, no, I would not advise the use of engine oil. Even if it does help fight against thermal breakdown.

Originally posted by AggieMEEN
Try it and tell us how things turned out!

Seriously, tho. I would not recommend the use of oil as a thermal paste, and here's why:

Using Schaum's Outlines on Heat Transfer (all I had sitting near me at the time), and using properties of liquids in a saturated state: the k value for engine oil at 20C is 0.145 W/m*K. That of water (for argument's sake) at 20C is 0.597 W/m*K. But since thermal paste is basically a suspension of metallic/nonmetallic particles, let's take a look at silver (Ag): 419 W/m*K. And for polycrystalline aluminum oxide, the k value is 36 W/m*K at 30C.

So, no, I would not advise the use of engine oil. Even if it does help fight against thermal breakdown.

Well, arcticsilver's site is down or something so I can't be sure, but it's thermal conductivity is WAY less than that of silver or even alumina. I think it's less than 10 or probably even 5.

Sure, go ahead and just splirt oil all over your cpu core it will bring you sub-zero temps no doubt!;)

Originally posted by Ph0llen
Sure, go ahead and just splirt oil all over your cpu core it will bring you sub-zero temps no doubt!;)

Hmmm .. nah, I'm pretty sure it'll just bring him into a smokey, yet still ambient, temperature :)

Maybe he's thinking of Mineral Oil? I heard that it was mineral oil that you could use and had decent heat transfer (maybe someone can looks this up?).

I was informed that this was how you can create "PC in a bucket", take a motherboard/processor, drop it in a bucket of mineral oil, and turn that bad boy on. Set a box fan blowing over the bucket. Apparently Mineral Oil doesn't conduct electricity.

*shrugs* that's just what I heard. Let's hear it for spreading rumors!

if you submerge in a bucket I think you still need a heat sink on the CPU, just obviously not a fan, although a pump dumping freshly cooled oil from a radiator into the heat sink would help reduce temps. It'd be a fun project. If someone wants to send me a socket 370 mobo thats good for OCing, and some mineral oil I have a 733 P3 I'll submerge.

anyone actually tried submersing a rig in any sort of liquid? it's an interesting idea and I know i'd pursue it if I only had enough spare parts..

i have a bud that submersied his cpu in mineral oil and it works great Looks cool too, i will see if i can get a pic of it. :D

Originally posted by Mad_Pyro
No, it would work quite poorly.

actualy it works quite well, after 4 hours of playing empire earth on a amd 1.3ghz athlon the oil was only 15c hotter then the water, and that was only 2c over room temp, and with the machine on (but near idle) the oil and cpu temp droped right back to near room temp in just under 2 hours. and that was with totaly passive cooling no fans on the oil or blowing aginst the fish tank (10 gallons IIRC) just a fishtank air pump and stone to keep the oil moving ever so slightly.

Originally posted by dagamore
i have a bud that submersied his cpu in mineral oil and it works great Looks cool too, i will see if i can get a pic of it. :D

Try takin that to a LAN party. :D

Back