car heatercore question

hi i'm looking to build a wc setup and was wondering if any of you guys know a good performing/sized car heatercore. i hear good things about the corvette 86 (or was that chevette?)

-Danner Mag3
-Dtek Whitewater
-3/8'' or 1/2" tubing?
-Heatercore [ one thats recommended to me ]

how are the jr 120s from dtek customs?

i want the setup to fit in my chieftec black dragon, but if it won't fit i have no problems with having it in an external box. what else do i need? suggestions would be great :D .

thanks
-henry

Chevette '86

It's slightly larger than a 120mm fan, performs pretty well for its size/price

The Jr120's are basically the same thing, with flat tanks, save a bit of space, i imagine it would hinder flow VERY slightly... but i have no proof of that. If you're not good at brazing & don't want the hassle of jbwelding your own barbs in (or other non-solder methods) then i'd just buy a pre-fab one... The prices aren't too horrible anyways.

I have a Chevette heater core and I got on that the tubes aren't the way I like. If you know just the one you want then get it. Mine works just fine. I JB Welded the barbs on and have a pump that I got from home depot and I run average temps, but they don't got up very much from where I idle at either. I think for less that for less than $100.00 bucks you could put together a decent W/C setup.

Give it a shot, lots better than air. TMO

Originally posted by [h]ernzinator
hi i'm looking to build a wc setup and was wondering if any of you guys know a good performing/sized car heatercore. i hear good things about the corvette 86 (or was that chevette?)

-Danner Mag3
-Dtek Whitewater
-3/8'' or 1/2" tubing?
-Heatercore [ one thats recommended to me ]

how are the jr 120s from dtek customs?

i want the setup to fit in my chieftec black dragon, but if it won't fit i have no problems with having it in an external box. what else do i need? suggestions would be great :D .

thanks
-henry

the chevette core is the one that you have in mind but there are others that use the same sized core...provided the core the same size, it is copper (prolly with brass tanks) and the tanks have inlet and outlet fittings that you can deal with the model of the car doesnt make that much difference.

there are lots of cores that will work - my rule of thumb for any overclocking box is go with the largest core that will fit in the case if it has to be mounted in the case and if it doesnt have to be mounted in the case then I go with whatever will produce the most cooling possible.

the chevette core modded for h2o action:
arsglcore.jpg

a larger case?
hcwshroudfans1.jpg

a really large case??
monstercore1.jpg

:D

for most systems, the second one has more than enough cooling capacity...that is out of a 77 bonneville.
how to make that one?
*prepares to pimp his own thread yet again*;)
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=706562&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
modding the chevette core is pretty much the same as modding the bonneville core most of the time but it requires slightly different fittings.

on to the other questions:
danner mag3 - they are not EMI shielded so keep it the hell away from your monitor. I had bad luck with danner pumps in the past but everyone seems to be ranting about the (once?) leaky and unreliable bastages yet again so maybe they have improved...
my personal choice for pumps:
pentair aquatics/rainbow lifeguard quiet one...regardless of the size I need, they have it.
for a chevette core, the model 1200:
Wet / Dry 296 gph ½" MPT / ½" Barb fittings, 4" x 2.75" x 3.25", 6.10 ft max head, 1.5 lbs

for the larger cores like the bonneville (that can dump any heat the pump might add to the water):
Model 3000: Quiet One Aquarium Pump
Wet / Dry 780 gph 1" MPT / 1" MPT 4.25" x 4" x 4.25" 10.50 ft max head, 2.4 lbs
or
Quiet One 4000 High Head, Wet / Dry, 980 gph 1" MPT / ¾" MPT fittings, 6.25" x 4.25" x 5.5" 13.00 ft max head, 5.3 lbs

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_pumps_pentair_aquatics_rainbow_lifegard_quiet_one.asp?CartId=

dolphin also makes some good ones:
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_powerheads_pumps_dolphin_pond_tank_master.asp?CartId=

dtek whitewater - get the Aluminum topped one. 1/2" ID fittings
1/2" ID tubing all the way - go for clearflex60 tubing

you will also need a shroud and a 120mm fan for the heatercore.
coolshroud makes one that will fit most 6"x6" cores (like the chevette):
http://www.cooltechnica.com/Merchan...ory_Code=Shroud

the one in the 3rd pick is a weapon invention. :)

it is two heatercores turned into one. I broke out the torch, removed the tanks, scrubbed them down with a mild acid solution and then brazed them back together after carefully lining up all the internal channels. PITA factor: 8.5

end result=monsta-core. :D

Back