Capcom declares global war on gamers

It's cool to hate game devs now regardless of track record.

It's cool to threadshit and not contribute anything meaningful to a conversation.

Sir, you should read the whole article, you cannot SHARE it with your friends or family when you are done with it, as there will be only one permanent save file that cannot be altered.

Once everything is unlocked, it stays unlocked.

It's pretty obvious that some people are coming in this thread and posting without having actually read a damned thing and understanding the issue.

Boohoo, people won't be able to resell games after they play them. I personally don't mind this change.

To discourage 2nd hand sales of video game is one thing, but to forcefully do it by ANY means is a pretty retarded move. Ever since gamers can start saving game progress, every gamers are used to being able to save separate game saves, or do whatever they wants with their game saves.

By locking down a person's game save, this is something that is going to piss many people off. You're taking away a person's freedom to do whatever they want within the game they purchased. Don't you think gamers should have the rights to restart their game from basic if for some reason they wish to do so, whatever the reason it may be?

Their marketing department has to be retarded to approve something like this, if they have one at all. Its not going to go down well with many potential customers

Personally,I wouldn't mind if all the console games had this,give the console gamers a taste of what we PC gamers have had to deal with for quite some time. The used PC game market is all but dead,killed by various DRM schemes.Love to see the console conglomerate cut their own throats with a boneheaded,greed inspired move like this so we can get back to real gaming.

[ame="http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-pod-resident-evil/716936"]Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D Video Game, Review Pod | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com[/ame]

While I don't agree with what Capcom is doing I feel the thread's title is misleading. So far it is only one game and could be a test for Capcom. And if it is successful, like Activision testing the $60 PC Game pricepoint again with Modern Warfare 2, expect to see more developers and publishers take this route of DRM with games they can.

Although the used PC Game has been declining for years once CD Keys started becoming registered to an account, now with most of the other games by the developer and/or publisher. Even disc-based console games are starting to include access codes for additional content. Mass Effect 2 comes to mind with needing to register it with Bioware/EA for the extras.

I know they are trying to say used games hurt their profits and I agree it hurts some of it but it's like piracy, not every case of it equates to a lost sale. Most people buying used games do so to save a few bucks and people pirating games are unlikely to buy the game in the first place. Though the companies try to tell you otherwise.

Imagine if car manufacturers used methods to prevent you from reselling their vehicles...

CryingGod said:
Boohoo, people won't be able to resell games after they play them. I personally don't mind this change.

I daresay most people would disagree with you and rightfully so.

I should be able to dump off old games when I'm done playing with them and let someone else get some use out of them. If I get a little money back that's great vs doing what else? Throw them away? What a horrible waste. C'mon get real.

And before someone says: "Oh you could give them away and be charitable." Well, no you can't with this kind of setup. You either keep them or throw them out. There's no other viable option.

That's ridiculous.

That's indefensible and I think most people actually using their brains know it.

I agree, the title is a little misleading. But it's certainly a bad move for not only gamers, but also for retailers who deal in the used games market.

Think about the impact this will have on the economy as a whole. A lot of people trade in games at Gamestop or Amazon to get credit toward purchasing another used game. Most of them are not going to pay $60 or $50 for a game 2-3 months after release, so they prefer to shop the used game market.

While the sale and resale of a few games will not have a large impact on the market, repeat the process a few million times and you will begin to see a very large blip. The developers and publishers may wind up making more money in the long run but you will have less exposure of the games and see more retailers going out of business.

In the end, I hope the developers realize the overall impact this will have instead of just their bottom line. It's a tough market out there and everyone wants a larger piece of the pie.

EDIT: http://kotaku.com/5816145/capcom-denies-used-game-sales-had-anything-to-do-with-forever-saves

We'll have to see how this really plays out.

Last edited:
Meh Resident evil for me died when they shitted out Resident Action Hero Wonder Fail 5
Street Fighter died when they puked out Street fighter IV with Games For Shittier Lives
Marvel vs Capcom died when they launched MVC3 and forgot to add the second half of the roster.

Capcom wtf exactly are you good for anymore?

Thread title has a valid point. It sets a bad precedence for the entire video gaming industry. It is possible to do this anywhere, tying a save game to a console unit or xbox live account, or to your Games For Windows Live account along with the game cd-key, to Steam or Origin, etc. The possibilities are endless.

Capcom has tried to explain the savefile lockdown as trying to capture the feeling of being at an arcade and is denying it being a ploy to discourage second-hand sales. It has to be one of the most retarded explanations ever.

This is by far one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of in a video game. Why would you TAKE AWAY a feature that we've known and loved for decades?

Meh Resident evil for me died when they shitted out Resident Action Hero Wonder Fail 5
Street Fighter died when they puked out Street fighter IV with Games For Shittier Lives
Marvel vs Capcom died when they launched MVC3 and forgot to add the second half of the roster.

Capcom wtf exactly are you good for anymore?

Last Capcom game I ever bought was RE2.

I am surprised they are even still in business after seeing the abortion that is RE5 and SFIV. What a way to destroy two franchises.

Last Capcom game I ever bought was RE2.

I am surprised they are even still in business after seeing the abortion that is RE5 and SFIV. What a way to destroy two franchises.

I really liked RE2, I think the series peaked with that game.

Piracy blasted the DS market, extremely rampant and easy. TBH I really dont blame their course of action.

Piracy blasted the DS market, extremely rampant and easy. TBH I really dont blame their course of action.

I thought rampant piracy was only a PC problem? ;)

I don't blame Capcom or any other developer for taking steps to try and protect themselves. I get that. I'm all for it in concept.

It's the execution and means they may choose that I may take into serious question because it punishes the legit end user. This nonsense Capcom has decided to do being a perfect case in point.

Even though the game is said to be lackluster, this is not good. If by any means the game sells well and they consider this 'DRM' a success it might expand to other titles and even other platforms.

I find it somewhat tiring that again and again it is the honest consumer that is always having to deal with these methods...

IMO game developers never ever wanted a second hand used market. I don't think they wanted a rental market either. Here they are just slowly moving forward to a point where they can eventually eliminate that.

The only reason rental and used markets existed is because there was simply no good way to stop them from existing in the past. As with almost all rules including taxes half the game is what can you actually do not just what you want to do. Now with everyone being internet connected every company is trying to push their services in a way that forces you to authenticate them. Some things that just does not work that great for like single player games. Other things like pure multiplayer games makes it extremely easy.

Look at it this way if you goto a amusement park, movie, concert, or bar you are paying a price for the experience. And most of you who do this drop alot more money at those places as compared to the time and amount of amusement you get then you do on video games. So it isnt the end of the world if you cannot resell your video games. I value most experiences at around $5 per hour per person. Seems expensive? Really think about it thats about what it cost to get a drink at the bar, and you are lucky if it lasts you an hour. Movies are the same. Concerts as well. So if I get 10 hours of gaming out of a game and I enjoy the experience for $50 that aint bad. Anything cheaper or any more time and I start to consider the game good or better. And if I play some MP game for 100 hours then I think that was very well worth it.

My point is mainly that this is how things are going to be, so you can bitch about it all day and all night but sooner or later you are going to have to play the way they want you too. The main reason is that companies that follow this trend will make more money and they will then have more money to make more and better games, or at least advertise more than others.

I do not agree. If we were talking about games in general and the effective DRM used these days, you would have a point. However, at this present time the method used in the game discussed is unique and therefore is the exception... Nothing at this point in time indicates this will be the norm.

Even though there is no guaranty, if the game does not sell there is still a small chance Capcom -- be it through any form of customer feedback or even thought on their part -- might realize that the costumers do not want this. Although I do confess I'm being overly optimistic here...

Look at it this way if you goto a amusement park, movie, concert, or bar you are paying a price for the experience. And most of you who do this drop alot more money at those places as compared to the time and amount of amusement you get then you do on video games. So it isnt the end of the world if you cannot resell your video games. I value most experiences at around $5 per hour per person. Seems expensive? Really think about it thats about what it cost to get a drink at the bar, and you are lucky if it lasts you an hour. Movies are the same. Concerts as well. So if I get 10 hours of gaming out of a game and I enjoy the experience for $50 that aint bad. Anything cheaper or any more time and I start to consider the game good or better. And if I play some MP game for 100 hours then I think that was very well worth it.

I dont agree with this argument at all. The value of entertainment is far from time based. Video games are a cheap form of entertainment because they aren't on the same par as actually going out and doing something physically.

Video game entertainment is less akin to going to see a movie at a cinema and more akin to buying or renting a DVD, or even watching a movie on TV. Hell, there are nights when I'll decide the movie on TV is better entertainment than playing whatever video game I'm doing and that costs me nothing... so should video games be free with advertisements, since there are other comparable forms of entertainment that are also free.

IMO game developers never ever wanted a second hand used market. I don't think they wanted a rental market either. Here they are just slowly moving forward to a point where they can eventually eliminate that.

The only reason rental and used markets existed is because there was simply no good way to stop them from existing in the past. As with almost all rules including taxes half the game is what can you actually do not just what you want to do. Now with everyone being internet connected every company is trying to push their services in a way that forces you to authenticate them. Some things that just does not work that great for like single player games. Other things like pure multiplayer games makes it extremely easy.

My point is mainly that this is how things are going to be, so you can bitch about it all day and all night but sooner or later you are going to have to play the way they want you too. The main reason is that companies that follow this trend will make more money and they will then have more money to make more and better games, or at least advertise more than others.

If you VOTE WITH YOUR WALLET then you don't have to play their game, you can vote with your wallet to spend money on games made by game companies who aren't that craven who have the gamer's best interest at heart while still trying to make a dollar in the process. The Witcher 1 and 2 are a good example of this, The Witcher 2 is completely DRM free if you buy it off the GoG.com site. My dollars will go to support game companies like CD Projekt that make games like that.

Capcom has tried to explain the savefile lockdown as trying to capture the feeling of being at an arcade and is denying it being a ploy to discourage second-hand sales. It has to be one of the most retarded explanations ever.

Agreed, nobody is gonna buy that line of BS.

I dont agree with this argument at all. The value of entertainment is far from time based. Video games are a cheap form of entertainment because they aren't on the same par as actually going out and doing something physically.

Video game entertainment is less akin to going to see a movie at a cinema and more akin to buying or renting a DVD, or even watching a movie on TV. Hell, there are nights when I'll decide the movie on TV is better entertainment than playing whatever video game I'm doing and that costs me nothing... so should video games be free with advertisements, since there are other comparable forms of entertainment that are also free.

Video games are cheap and even if they doubled in price they would still be cheap. That is exactly my point. The vast majority of consumers are always going to see that value and they are not going to worry about if they can resell the game or restart it. Because at the end of the day it is cheaper than many alternative forms of entertainment.

And this is exactly why these boycottes never work. Remember the picture of the boycotte MW2 steam group with 80% of the people in that pic playing MW2? That is the point. Everyone bitched when steam released they said no way. But only a very small amount of people actually would not use steam or buy games delivered on it. Eventually it goes on to become the main PC content delivery system for games. At the end of the day people look at the options and say they will live with whatever feature or freedom they lost because they game is worth buying and playing anyway.

And with each passing year more and more games push in new losses of freedom but the majority of people still buy them. I personally do not like it, but I accept I do not represent the people closely enough to change the way game devs think.

Video games are cheap and even if they doubled in price they would still be cheap. That is exactly my point. The vast majority of consumers are always going to see that value and they are not going to worry about if they can resell the game or restart it. Because at the end of the day it is cheaper than many alternative forms of entertainment.

Yeah but my point is that its cheaper simply because its not worth as much. And dont encourage the fuckers to increase the price anymore :p It already is close to double the price in Australia compared to the rest of the world. But the argument that being limited in reselling a game is fine simply because its a cheap form of entertainment doesn't work. The fact is its a form of entertainment that you purchase to use at your leisure in your own home and in your own time, not something that is inherently used up like booze, drugs and women :p Its like buying a pool table opposed to going to a pub and paying $2 per game to play.

And with each passing year more and more games push in new losses of freedom but the majority of people still buy them. I personally do not like it, but I accept I do not represent the people closely enough to change the way game devs think.

Yeah I pretty much agree with this. Saying vote with your wallet is fine... but it is pretty meaningless when only 1 in 100 consumers actually do it. Personally I didn't buy MW2 not because I was on the boycott band wagon but simply because after playing it at a friend's house I didn't see the value in buying it. Didn't stop everyone else buying it though.

Last edited:
Saying vote with your wallet is fine... but it is pretty meaningless when only 1 in 100 consumers actually do it. Personally I didn't buy MW2 not because I was on the boycott band wagon but simply because after playing it at a friend's house I didn't see the value in buying it. Didn't stop everyone else buying it though.

I agree. Pirating probably sends a bigger message than simply not buying since nobody actually keeps statistics of people who don't buy things. Of course, companies misinterpret the message piracy sends and choose to act in ways such as these.

There have been many devices that play/backup 3DS titles allready so this new protection wont effect the people who are allready in the know
http://www.3dsbackup.com/

Of course not. Pirates and the like are always going to find some way to get it done so we're back to punishing the legit end user and so I'll simply reiterate the point that really can't be emphasized enough: Vote with your wallet.

People rent or buy used games because they don't want to pay full price for the game. People aren't just suddenly going to start buying a game at retail price just because DRM prevents them from playing a used game or rental. At least that's how I feel. I soon rather pirate the game then give them my money for their greedy practices.

Back