• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Can't Uninstall F@H......

Moose777

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
2,741
Ok, I'm redoing my rig and want to uninstall Folding at Home so I can start semi fresh. But it will not me uninstall it.

Anyone have any issues with this? And if so, how do I remove it?
 
Did you run it as a service? If so you can run it through a shortcut with a -config flag and tell it to not run it as a service, and it will uninstall all the service stuff in the registry and whatnot. After that there isn't really anything that it instals unless you created something yourself. I think we need a little more information on how it insn't letting you uninstall it.

-MN Scout
 
That's the thing, I can't even open it anymore. It stopped working correctly a long time ago, but it seems to be tying up all sorts of Processes but I can't access it any more to remove it from my machine.

I'm also having the same issue with Prime95. I've been working on trying to remove both programs for about a month with no luck.
 
If it has been a while, maybe a fresh install is in order, that always helps everything
(oh so clean!) dont forget to backup all your needed files first :)
 
These are the two registry location that I have F@H entries. These however specific to the install of the console client as a service, so if its the graphical client, the locations will probably be different and there will be more of them.


HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\FAH@C:+....
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PandeGroup

 
Hmm... If we can get your situation figured out we should include this in the FAQ. Try booting into safe mode. Then you need to delete the folder that FAH is instaled into. Or go into task manager and stop FAH this way the files wont be running and then you can delete the files. You don't really need to worry about the registry files. They will just be overwritten on your next install of FAH.

-MN Scout
 
Note: To stop FAH in Task Manager, go to process tab and stop the "image name" of fahCore_ and winFah. That should stop all the processes that were calling on the files you were trying to delete.

-MN Scout
 
Ok, is there another way to get to teh Task Manager aside from "Ctrl, Alt, Del"?

Because it won't open when I do that. I hate this POS computer (This is my HP Pavillion POS not my good rig.)
 
Shadowchild said:
Or Start > Run > taskmgr.exe
deltree also works in many situations.
That's awesome. I bet you've never gotten an error trying it that way. "Another Program is using Taskmgr.exe."

I hate this computer.
 
No, I have no virus software on this computer. I'm in the middle of redoing it and only keep it running for stupid little shit. I'm slowly deleting things off of it that I haven't used nor needed. And since my virus software didn't work I got rid of it (Norton) and never replaced it with anything.
 
Penguincomp said:
Format C:

I actually tried that on a system for kicks, a crapper

deltree *.* /s

Kinda sucked big time, I think there is a flag to quit asking me if it's ok to delete this or that.

System did not boot after words...
 
Moose777 said:
No, I have no virus software on this computer. I'm in the middle of redoing it and only keep it running for stupid little shit. I'm slowly deleting things off of it that I haven't used nor needed. And since my virus software didn't work I got rid of it (Norton) and never replaced it with anything.

/edit: Have you tried safe mode? Press F8 during Windows startup.

GRISoft.com

AVG is free. Some of the symtoms you're describing leads me to believe you may have a virus or possibly a severe Malware infection. Reinstalling Windows from scratch would be ideal. (That includes formatting the hard drive, be sure to backup anything important)


(Format/reinstall at your own risk, I can accept no responsiblity if the above advice causes problems) :eek:



 
gigabyte1024 said:
(Format/reinstall at your own risk, I can accept no responsiblity if the above advice causes problems) :eek:
HEWLETT PACKARD.....

Need I say anymore? lol This thing is a problem in itself this machine is my beating machine. I hate this thing.

Oh, and as for reformatting it? Yeah, this thing has gotten a reformat every 3-4 months since I've owned it. It's actually about due for one.

The problem though, is that HP doesn't supply you with actual System Disks, as in an opeating system disk. What they give you (but only after you call them and threaten to return the computer to them and take legal action on them for shitty workmanship) is System Restore Disks. So, when you do format it, you only reinstall factory components and files, then I have to start all over again deleting allt he crappy HP software and reinstalling mine.

The reason why I'm holding off on the reformating is because I want to buy a new mobo and OS. I just haven't had time to.
 
Well, considering you're getting a taskmgr.exe error on load, which I've never seen before, you should definetely try safemode. It'll probably work, and you'd be able to fix a lot of problems. If not, you've got a virus. Personally, my bet's on the virus, and the easiest way to fix that is to boot into safemode and run a scan. So, you've basically got to run a virus scan. Good practice, too, considering you haven't for a while, from what I gathered.
 
I ran a virus scan last night and am doing one today actually.

You guys don't want to know how many viruses I found. It's crazy. I'm surprised this thing even boots. lol

See, my original plan for this computer was to try and get as many viruses as humanly possible to destroy this thing. But then I started modding it and decided to put a new mother board in it.

So, yeah once it's done doing it's virus scan I'm going to pull all the files I want off of it (which aren't too many) and reformat it.
 
Moose777 said:
I ran a virus scan last night and am doing one today actually.

You guys don't want to know how many viruses I found. It's crazy. I'm surprised this thing even boots. lol

See, my original plan for this computer was to try and get as many viruses as humanly possible to destroy this thing. But then I started modding it and decided to put a new mother board in it.

So, yeah once it's done doing it's virus scan I'm going to pull all the files I want off of it (which aren't too many) and reformat it.

Be careful with those files that you backup. Make double sure they are not infected.


 
Not to ask the obvious, but are you trying all this from the “Administrator” account?

Another option is to create a new account and from there go to the files you want to delete and delete them. Strange, but unless you set up all your security features this is pretty easy to do.

Another option is not as much fun, boot to DOS and navigate to your folding directory and delete it that way.
 
Yes, I'm doing this all from the 'Administrator' account.

The pictures I want to save aren't infected. I've looked at all the infected files and none of them are from the 'My Pictures' folder.
 
Moose777 said:
HEWLETT PACKARD.....

Need I say anymore?

You don't like HP? It sounds like its more (Insert people who use the computer)'s fault then HP's.
Edit: don't worry about the 300$ computer.

I just have to ask though........... WHY in god's name are you trying to uninstall F@H, when you have so much crap'takular'ness on it (AKA, bad things).............




Moose666 said:
HEWLETT PACKARD.....

Need I say anymore?
I would have changed that too
Moose666 said:
User Error.....

Need I say anymore?
 
towert7 said:
You don't like HP? It sounds like its more (Insert people who use the computer)'s fault then HP's.
Edit: don't worry about the 300$ computer.

I just have to ask though........... WHY in god's name are you trying to uninstall F@H, when you have so much crap'takular'ness on it (AKA, bad things).............





I would have changed that too
You're an ass. No I don't like HP. In fact. I'm not the only one that doesn't like HP. They make crappy computers.

As for the user statement. I've had problems with this computer since the day I bought it. Oh and FYI I paid a lot more than $300 for it two years ago it was top of the line HP crap not that it's any of your damn business but I paid around $2k forr this piece of shit and have regretted ever purchasing it from day one. But since at the time it wasn't my money; it just so happened that the company I used to work for bought it for me I didn't care.

As for the list of things that I've had issues with on this computer, 11 months after I bought it the thing crapped the bed and destroyed the mother board. It took me 3 months to get HP to repair it under warranty. TV card never worked since day one. Sound card took a shit a week after I had the computer. Memory went bad a few months after I bought it.

HP fills it with useless crap that no one would ever use. Things like My Software Choice, the ever useless HP Help Center, AOL, Game Channel, Realone Arcade, ABBY Reader, some financial program. I could go on about ho wmuch useless shit is on this thing.

Oh, and another thing. The HP that I'm bitching about here isn't the only computer I own. It is however the one I surf the net with, write, play low memory games on. I've actually got another rig sitting next to me that cost me close to $4k to build (myself) that I haven't had any problems with. So, I'm not completely novice to computers. I mean, last I checked I grew up with computers and I helped my brother build his new rig and he works on computers for a living. So, that's got to say something right there about me being able to navigate a computer. (I'm not claiming to know everything, cause quite frankly, I don't. But I'm not a complete idiot as you are trying to make me out to be.)

Oh and to answer your question. I guess you failed the part in school where you learned reading comprehension? I stated above I'm cleaning the computer up of things I don't use or want as I'm in the process of redoing it. There are certain things I'm keeping but the majjority of it I'm not. And as it stands right now, F@H and Prime95 are in my friggin' way. Oh, I also stated that I was purposeely trying to destroy the computer with various viruses and things but have since changed my mind since I'm going to reuse the HD in it for the new install of the OS and mobo.

So, would you care to open your mouth and insert your foot again? If you don't have anything constructive or helpful to add to the thread STFU.
 
Moose777, just as a heads up, when i said "Edit: don't worry abou the $300 computer", i was refering to the edit I made if you had seen it before I edited it out (or anyone else for that matter). I'm sure the HP was more then 300$ :)

~Hope this helps, and good luck
 
Back
Top