cant stop safe mode

sekanz

n00b
quite a story so as breif as possible...

had xp: home installed. also had norton av 2005 installed. found out norton was hindering many apps, including napster, which, all of a sudden stopped working. at that same time norton gave an error message at every startup that it "didnt support the install feature" and that it had to be reinstalled. norton didnt seem affect by this error, so i just continued on with it, as it was. well, i finally wanted to use napster, so i tried going into safe mode to install napster from there, and see if it would get around the norton installation.

well... i never made it into windows again. i set the computer up to restart in safe mode through msconfig-->boot.ini-->safe mode:minimal. restarted the computer. now the computer restarts just before after it loads the agp driver. tried several times. then i tried booting into windows normally. the computer restarts just before the welcome screen, every time. last know good config does same thing.

so... i reinstalled windows over the top of the last installation. windows loads fine except!.....

i now cant get it to NOT load into safe mode. tried reconfiguring mscong-->boot.ini several times... no go. i couldnt find a boot.ini file in the windows folder. added one. but it wont change it. is that the native folder for it? i cant remember. xp:home edition

any other ideas would be much appreciated also. Thanx

i do that but it doesnt seem to work. would having a usb keyboard keep that from working? do i need a ps/2 to do that?

no, i use a usb keyboard also (logitech mx 900 mouse bluetooth explorer keyboard) make sure that F lock is on when you start up the computer. on some newer keyboards the F lock key isnt alwasy on by default when you stat up the computer, primairly microsoft keyboards. so when u start up the computer, press the f lock key then hold down F8 after doing so... see if that works out for ya

U-Hem, hem.. installin windows on top of a previous windows install brings truble sometimes.
If pressing F8 wont get you into the safe mode, you need to consider an overhaul meaning you format the drive and do everything from scratch ... hopefully you dont have to....

i tried hitting f8. i got in, told Windows to load normaly, and it Still loads in Safe Mode! Argghh!

XeRo_Dark said:
no, i use a usb keyboard also (logitech mx 900 mouse bluetooth explorer keyboard) make sure that F lock is on when you start up the computer. on some newer keyboards the F lock key isnt alwasy on by default when you stat up the computer, primairly microsoft keyboards. so when u start up the computer, press the f lock key then hold down F8 after doing so... see if that works out for ya

What's this "F lock" key?!?
Well.. does your usb keyboard light up while your computer boots up through dos? If not, then you need to go into BIOS and look for an option that says "legacy USB keyboard" or something and make sure your computer is supporting it. Seems like you've got that though. Last time i had trouble loading XP i had to use the original install disk, and "repair" my installation.

Boot.ini is in the root of c:. You have to turn on the option to show protected system files before you will see it. Make sure to remove the read only attribute and change the default startup line to read something like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

well i did get my keyboard working... with a ps/2 adaptor. even though it is a usb keyboard, i need the ps/2 adaptor to make it work when i need it to during boot-up. without the adaptor, the keyboard is on sparadically... although it works perfectly fine once i get into windows. i couldnt, for the life of me, stop it from booting in safe mode.

unhid all files, no boot.ini to be found. tried adding my own, but it still didnt work. i just ended up formatting everything (although i was trying to avoid that...) and a new problem has arisen...

i cant boot (disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter) unless the windows cd is in!?!

Back