• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Can't stick CPU at normal clock speed, PSU issue?

Azath

n00b
Joined
Sep 26, 2004
Messages
2
My computer won't boot at its specified clock setting. It had been running fine ever since I built the system and then it just reset one day and wouldn't boot. I turned it off and removed the CMOS battery to reset it, put it back in and reset the system and it booted. But, the BIOS settings were returned to default and the clock speed was showing 1150 (100x11.5) MHz instead of the 1533 (133x11.5) that it is made to run at. I went in to configure the BIOS and set the values back to the way they were supposed to be, saved, and then restarted the computer. It would not boot again. I've since tried switching my RAM around and that hasn't worked. After resetting the system defaults about 15 times, I realized the VCore in the BIOS was fluctuating really badly. The normal setting it was on was 1.750v, but I was seeing values ranging from 1.640 to 1.840 or more. I have heard that small fluctuations in VCore are normal, but I think this may be a little too much, and I was wondering if it could be causing the problem with my CPU's instability at normal clock speed. I'm running an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ system on an EpoX 8KHA+ mainboard that I built in December 2001 and haven't had any major issues with it up until recently. The power supply unit (315W) came with a standard mid-tower case I purchased originally. I have added drives and upgraded some hardware since then, but nothing too substantial. My question is, do you think this might be a power supply unit issue? I can't think of any other possible causes for this problem.

--Azath--
 
Just another thought, I have the same board as you and I had similar problems. Drove me nuts until I looked very close at the caps. Quite a few of them were starting to leak, some had the tops about to pop off. Replaced the caps and all is well.

Just a thought
 
BillR said:
Just another thought, I have the same board as you and I had similar problems. Drove me nuts until I looked very close at the caps. Quite a few of them were starting to leak, some had the tops about to pop off. Replaced the caps and all is well.

Just a thought


Azath said:
I'm running an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ system on an EpoX 8KHA+ mainboard that I built in December 2001 and haven't had any major issues with it up until recently

would be around the right timeframe
my Abit KR7A (Athlon +1800) was infamous for that issue but I escaped
a whole generation of bad caps was employed in boards far and wide
the skinny being that a cheaper Taiwanese source was adopted by many mobo manufacturers
and that they had innacurately lifted the formula and process from the Japanese manufacturer that had hitherto had a lock on the market

worth checking
 
I managed to take a look inside my case the other day and sure enough, bad caps seem to be the issue. I counted twelve of them that were leaking out of the tops and bulged out. I don't want to toss out the mainboard, so I ordered replacements for them. Thanks for the help. :)
 
Back
Top