can't share cable internet

marvin888

Lurker
I have broadband through comcast(cable). I have it going wall -> Motorola sb5100 -> SMC7004ABR -> to three computers. It's been working fine ever since it was install. I was messing around with the router(trying to figure out the fire wall settings)and hit the release button on the status page where it show internet connection status. Well it disconnected from the cable modem and I can ton find out how to reconnect it to the modem. if I plug my computer into the modem I can connect to the internet. All the setup pages on the router are asking for some kind of log-on information (IE: static ip address log name and password) like using a dialup or dsl modem. from what I can figure is the cable modem is always connected and doesn't need any additional input (username and password) but the router will not accept an direct Internet connection it want to send some sort of logon info and get a logon correct back from the service provider.

I know it can work because it was working for 3 months before e I messed with it.
can anyone help?

Do everything in this order:

1. Unplug everything (computer, router, modem....)
2. Drink a beer, take a dump, wait 10 minutes
3. Plug modem back in, wait for ready light
4. Plug in router, wait for router's WAN port to show an OK link, wait 20 seconds
5. Turn computers back on
6. Drink another beer and celebrate.

there should be a reset button in the router, look around for it its probably a little hole you have to hit with a pin or something, and then put in the settings you want.

of unplug everything and shut everything down, wate a min or two and turn on the modem, then a min or two and turn on the router then a min or two and try a pc.

Just power cycle the router.

Hitting the reset button only restores the router to factory default settings...any settings you made would be wiped out, including any MAC cloning done, or Host name entries (2x popular cable authentication types)

no go I tried unplugging everything and plugging them back in this order cable modem, router, turned on computer. I tried resetting the router back to factory defaults and I still get nothing. any more suggestions?

marvin888 said:
no go I tried unplugging everything and plugging them back in this order cable modem, router, turned on computer. I tried resetting the router back to factory defaults and I still get nothing. any more suggestions?

Try waiting a few hours then. Sometimes the modem will "remember" the last MAC address it was attatched to.

Back