Can't share a network printer under Remote Desktop (RD) - any ideas?

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
So I'm trying to log on to Remote Desktop (RD) and I can connect successfully. Yet, I have a network printer on my LAN and when I choose the option, SHARE LOCAL PRINTERS, the RD connection does NOT see the printer on my LAN. Any ideas?

I tried connecting from both an ADMIN and a USER account on the local computer and I tried connecting to both ADMIN and USER accounts on the RD machine. But, alas, no success. Any ideas? I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Come to think of it... I have a printer directly connected to my machine and even when I try to log in to RD from my machine, the RD connection will not see my local printer that's connected directly to my computer (even though I did say to share local resources: printers)

I'm guessing it has to be some option on the remote machine? Any ideas? Thanks!

HP printers usually will auto setup, as most of their drivers are TS compliant.

On some stubborn printers....I learned a trick from a few users here a while ago...

On the PC without the printer physicall connected...download and install the same drivers as the other machine (so figure..latest drivers on each will usually suffice)

However..the method of installing, go to printers folder, File==>Server properties==>Drivers tab..."Add". Can just fake it out with LPT1 or something.

Once added...you should eventually see a port become available...something like TS001. Once you see that..move the checkmark to that port.

The printer drivers must be installed on the remote machine (server).

Also, check in the RDC options/local resources, go down to local devices and make sure "printers" is checked, it should be by default.

I've had a few hp printers here that would not work unless I used printer spooling with the network port and LPT1. You might want to give that a try.

Check the event viewer. You will most likely find an error when you logged on about it not having the correct drivers for the printer. Load the drivers and it should work ext time you connect.

Back