Can't set 1440p desktop resolution on i5-7500's HD 630?

euskalzabe

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm at a loss. My monitor supports the 1440p resolution as I've used this with a GTX770 and an RX480. Currently GPU-less and I just cannot enable 1440p resolution - it's either 4K @30fps or 1080p60. HDMI can do 1440p60, so why can't I enable it? If the HD 630 can do 4K @30fps it can certainly do 1440p60. Yet, when I setup 1440p60 on the intel graphics settings as a custom resolution, it tells me it "exceeds maximum bandwith capacity" with is BS.

Any ideas or suggestions to try?

driver up to date?

edit: monitor driver installed? so its not just a generic pnp monitor.

Last edited:
driver up to date?

Yeah. It's a Samsung 40" 4K tv and it's correctly recognized. I took the RX480 out of the system (no other changes) a couple days ago and was going to live on CPU graphics (for desktop use) until I get a new GPU, so I figured I'd set 1440p60. It won't let me and I've tried GFT, CVT and any combinations I can think of. It's either 4K30 or 1080p60 - or a bunch of ridiculous resolutions in between:

upload_2017-8-19_14-2-56.png

must be a limit of the igpu and or mobo. hdmi version too low maybe, I'm not sure...

Yeah, it doesn't make sense. The iGPU supports it, the mobo uses hdmi 1.4 which is enough... I blame it on intel's shitty drivers. Oh well. I'll live on a 4K 30fps desktop until I get a new GPU.

its gotta be the drivers then. maybe ddu and reinstall the newest driver as a last attempt. but I think id rather lve with 1080/60, that 30 is gonna be weird! how does the 2560x1600 work? if its 60 id turn off the panel scaling and live with the bars for now.

Yeah... every single resolution after 1080p is limited to 30fps. It has to be drivers, as obviously the chip could run 1200p60, and so on even before you get to 4K. I'll keep investigating and check with intel's support on Monday, as I'm already on the newest driver and this kind of limitation is utterly ridiculous on a chip that can easily handle that.

Small update to the situation: 2 days talking to Intel and Asus, and I keep going back and forth with them having me check basic things. I've tried 3 different drivers, updated the motherboard BIOS, blah blah blah... Nothing is fixing this situation. The kicker this morning, is that the Intel tech support send me an email telling me that testing in the lab he was able to set a custom res of 1440x1050 59hz... Now, this is worrying for two reasons:

1) Of course that custom res works, because it's sub 1080p and I had already mentioned anything sub 1080p works at 60hz.
2) 1440p means 2560x1440 60hz, not 1440 by whatever. The fact that I had to explain this to the intel tech support agent is quite problematic.

I'll keep updating. Hopefully I don't have to explain to them what resolutions HDMI2 cables support, or why HDMI 1.4 supports 1440p60.

A multi billion company, and this is the support I get... Sigh.

Yeah tech support in a lot of places are often morons. Makes sense though.

Well, the Intel guy ended up directing me to ToastyX's CRU. Tried a bunch of 1440p combinations, none worked. Then he told me that I can go to the intel community forums, and he washed off his hands. So, here I am, with a CPU that supports 1440p60 but the drivers refuse to enable it and a "good luck!" from intel. Still waiting on Asus to reply to my request.

Just great. If I was looking for reasons to jump to AMD, I've now been given more than enough for my next build.

Doesn't the monitor have a profile that tells the system what resolutions/frequencies it supports? The GPU driver just spits those back out in the Resolution select box

I would go playing with your TV/Monitor settings, maybe try different inputs, I think that's where your issue is.

I don't know of any way to create custom resolutions on Intel graphics - I know it's possible on nVidia drivers.

Doesn't the monitor have a profile that tells the system what resolutions/frequencies it supports? The GPU driver just spits those back out in the Resolution select box.
I would go playing with your TV/Monitor settings, maybe try different inputs, I think that's where your issue is.
I don't know of any way to create custom resolutions on Intel graphics - I know it's possible on nVidia drivers.

The monitor supports the resolution, as I previously used it with an RX480 and a GTX770. I've tried all 3 HDMI inputs, no improvement. I'm on the HDMI 2 input which is the most advanced. Intel HD graphics menu can create custom res, but once I get to 1440p60 it won't let me saying it "exceeds max bandwidth" which is not true. CRU lets me create it but it won't work.

We'll see what Asus says when they get back to me, but at this point, I think i'm just going to accept living on 4K30 until I can snatch a 1060 3GB for under $200. Hopefully it'll happen soon (price alerts ready) and this will be a problem I don't need to deal with.

Back