Cant send e-mail in college dorm.

Clockworks

Supreme [H]ardness
I can receive e-mail with no problems at all but everytime I try to send something I get this message:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: sadf
Sent: 9/5/2005 3:53 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'[email protected]' on 9/5/2005 3:53 PM
None of your e-mail accounts could send to this recipient.

I know that it is the correct e-mail because I pressed 'Reply' and I even tried sending it to myself.

What could it be?

If the person sending you the message has mispelled the address in the reply-to field of their email program, that would cause all replies to fail. I've seen people do stranger things.

Found something else in the user policy of the school:

# Proxy servers of any type are prohibited.
# No SMTP forwarding is prohibited.
# Mirror FTP servers are not permitted.
# No network administration tools are allowed. This includes, but is not limited to:

* network monitors
* sniffers
* protocol analyzers
* protocol decoders
* printer administration tools
* port scanners of any type
* SNMP tools

What do I have to do?

In addition to what nessus said, in Outlook if you hit the reply button, it usually tries to send the reply using the mail account from which it was received. So if you received the original message from another mail account outside your school mail account, your mail program might have tried using the SMTP server of this account to send the reply. However, your school may restrict all outgoing SMTP traffic to force everyone to use their mail server. So try setting your outbound mail server for each of your other accounts to your school's SMTP server instead.

Amuzing side note: just noticed one of those rules says "No SMTP forwarding is prohibited." If none is prohibited, does that mean it's allowed?

I thought that was weird too but nevertheless I think that I need to use the school's smtp (if it is even possible).

clockworks said:
I thought that was weird too but nevertheless I think that I need to use the school's smtp (if it is even possible).

Yep, looks like the school does not allow outgoing SMTP traffic from their network. Check with Resnet to see if they offer an SMTP relay server you can use. In Outlook you would simply configure your email account(s) to use the school's smtp server for outgoing email.

Alternatively, you could use a webmail account.

Back