• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Can't see third HDD in Windows

trust_no1

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 22, 2004
Messages
379
So I purchased a third HDD, Maxtor MaxLine III - 250GB.

My current motherboard is an Asus P5GDC Deluxe, running Windows XP SP2.

It has four SATA ports.

My problem is this:

I plug in the third HDD in one of the two remaining ports, put power to it, etc. I get into windows, run diskmgmt.msc, I don't see the blank drive in there.

The drive is detected in BIOS, so my assumption is that it's not kaput.

Is there anything that I might be doing wrong here? I'm pretty sure I used diskmgmt.msc for my last secondary HDD. . .

Anyway, I might not be able to check this thread until tomorrow afternoon, since I have to work early tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any help.
 
what I've tried up to now:

New cable for HDD.
different SATA header on motherboard
BIOS update
NERO System Info sees the drive

I ran some test with Maxtor PowerMax, the Basic Quick Test and Advance Test both passed, but the Installation confirmation fails, giving me a SMART threshold error. I have no clue what that means, and Maxtor's website doesn't seem to give any information on that either.

If anyone can tell me what that error means, or have any other idea, I'd appreciate it, else, I'll wait Monday and get a replacement from where I ordered it.
 
I have no idea, sadly, but I'd say call their support line and see what they have to say about it.
 
Yeah, I'll try and get a hold of them. But I have to wait until Monday. Bummer.
 
Back
Top