Can't see LAN connections XP

x-elf

n00b
Hey guys.

Searching for a problem that I've seen in the past and fixed. Although I had access to the internal microsoft KB at that time. Today I find myself without it and of a need for it.

Here is my problem,

I am running windows xp and have made several "restore back to an earlier date". Today when I go to my LAN connections the only thing that I see is a PPPOE connection. I Don't see a LAN or a high speed internet connection. I have gone through the wizard and have made 2 or 3 LAN or high speed connections that don't require a user name and password.
After the wizard finsihes I should see my new LAN connection ICON. Which I don't.

The only thing that I see is this silly pppoe connection which I don't need or use.

I have tired the RAS MAN fix to this which is located here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329441

I have not tried the winsock fix yet.

anyone have any ideas? maybe using regserv to register some dlls?

thanks

Chris

I don't quite understand how you can post the board but not get to the knowledge base but here you go:

CAUSE
This behavior can occur because of one or more of the following reasons: • The Plug and Play service is not running, causing the Local Area Connection icon to not be displayed.
• The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is not running, causing the Make New Connection icon to not be displayed.
• You used the Dcomcnfg.exe tool to change DCOM default settings, causing the error message listed earlier in this article to be displayed.
• One of the following network dlls is not properly registered.• Netcfgx.dll
• Netman.dll
• Netshell.dll

• The Network Connections service is disabled or is not started, causing the Local Area Connection icon to not be displayed.

Back to the top

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, use the appropriate method:
Back to the top

Verify That the Device Resources Are Correct
To resolve this behavior: 1. Obtain the network adapter configuration utility from the manufacturer of the network adapter. Typically, you must boot the computer from an MS-DOS or Windows 95/98 Startup disk to run these utilities.
2. If the network adapter uses jumpers for its settings, verify that the settings do not conflict with another device and manually change them to a resource setting that is not currently in use.

NOTE: You may need to remove all devices except the NIC and add them back one at a time to determine which device the network adapter conflicts with.

Back to the top

Start the Plug and Play Service
To resolve this behavior: 1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Computer Management.
2. Double-click Services and Applications, click Services, and then double-click Plug and Play.
3. In the Startup type dialog box, click Automatic, click OK, and then restart your computer.

NOTE: If the Local Area Connection icon is still missing, press F5 several times to refresh the screen. Also, you may try restarting your computer in Safe Mode with Networking.

Back to the top

Start the RPC Service
To resolve this behavior: 1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Computer Management.
2. Double-click Services and Applications, click Services, and then double-click Remote Procedure Call (RPC).
3. In the Startup type dialog box, click Automatic, click OK, and then restart your computer.

NOTE: If the RPC Service is disabled, you may need to use the Recovery Console. For additional information about starting and using Recovery Console, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
229716 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/229716/EN-US/) Description of the Windows 2000 Recovery Console
4. In Recovery Console, run Enable RPCSS Service_Auto_Start, and then restart your computer.

NOTE: If the Make New Connection icon is still missing, press F5 several times to refresh the screen. Also, you may try restarting your computer in Safe Mode with Networking.

Back to the top

Reset Default DCOM Permissions
To work around this problem: 1. Click Start, click Run, type dcomcnfg, and then click OK.
2. On the Default Properties tab, click any setting other than Anonymous in the Default Impersonation Level box. The default setting is Identify.

Back to the top

Register the Following Dlls
1. Click Start, click Run, and then type cmd.exe on the Open line.
2. Type the following lines, and then press ENTER after you type each line: regsvr32 netshell.dll
regsvr32 netcfgx.dll
regsvr32 netman.dll

3. Restart the computer.

See your thread in the OS Forum, and read the rules while you're at it. Cross-posting is a good way to piss off the mods.

Back