Can't see computers in workgroup

M

mfm

I am running three WinXP Pro PCs, with a hardware firewall (SmoothWall). I have turned off simple file sharing and made sure that TCP/IP, Client for Microsoft Networks, and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks are enabled on all PCs.

When I go to My Network Places -> Entire Network -> Microsoft Windows Network, I see my workgroup there, but when I open it, nothing is there, including the name of the PC I am using. I can understand not seeing the other PCs connected to the network, but my own PC?

Any ideas what I am doing wrong or what I should check?

Originally posted by Zardoz
try the IP //xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/
Okay, I can ping by IP, but not by computer name. Is this normal? Problem is, with SmoothWall running DHCP, it is possible that my 3 PCs may be assigned different IPs if I shut them down and reboot them in a different order.

Well ping by name will ONLY work if you have a DNS server running and has that computer name in its zone file.

Now then you can access computers via name with windows without a DNS server, however the "ping" exe does not know about windows names, it only knows DNS.

ALL 3 machines better be assigned 3 different IPs and if you are using DHCP then they probably are.

Your problem is with windows networking, which can be a little touchy. More specfically I am going to guess your issue is with Network Neighborhood and computer browsing. It can take a bit of time for ALL machines to "see" each other in Network Neighborhood. Boot them all up, then in an about 1 hour see if you can see them. Also make sure they are ALL in the same workgroup.

Do you have XP builting firewall turned on? Not sure if this affect it (never used it myself, but it may).

Originally posted by m1abram
Well ping by name will ONLY work if you have a DNS server running and has that computer name in its zone file.

Now then you can access computers via name with windows without a DNS server, however the "ping" exe does not know about windows names, it only knows DNS.

ALL 3 machines better be assigned 3 different IPs and if you are using DHCP then they probably are.
Yes, they are all assigned different IPs by the firewall (SmoothWall). Maybe I need to be using static IPs? BTW, does having NetBIOS over TCP/IP disabled cause any problem here?

Your problem is with windows networking, which can be a little touchy. More specfically I am going to guess your issue is with Network Neighborhood and computer browsing. It can take a bit of time for ALL machines to "see" each other in Network Neighborhood. Boot them all up, then in an about 1 hour see if you can see them. Also make sure they are ALL in the same workgroup.

Do you have XP builting firewall turned on? Not sure if this affect it (never used it myself, but it may).
I rebooted the PCs before I called it a night. I thought I couldn't ping by IP last night, but this morning I can. And yes, I did have ICF (Internet Connection Firewall) turned on, but I turned it off because even MS says it can cause issues with XP Pro networking.

Well you should not need statics, however that can eliminate one variable in trying to find out whats wrong.

Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Turn off ICF. I think you only need NetBIOS over TCP/IP when trying to network across subnets, ALL your machines are on the same subnet right?

Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Turn off ICF. I think you only need NetBIOS over TCP/IP when trying to network across subnets, ALL your machines are on the same subnet right?
That did it! :D I remember disabling this when I first built the PCs last month in an attempt to tighten security (or at least that's what I was told). The PCs are on the same subnet and behind a firewall (SmoothWall). Thanks again! :D

Back