Can't save file using "save as" on network drive f: ???

bigboutros

n00b
hello all,

am having problems "save as" to a network drive f: (see below) , thanks for checking out my post.

a friend of mine accesses many files off of a drive f: on a remote win98se system, she is using XP home. There is no problem accessing opening or altering files the problem comes when for instance an edited word (newreport.doc) file is edited and then you attempt to "save as" a new file name (i.e newreport2.doc), back to the f: drive. When you do this the following error/dialog occurs.

"the folder f:newreport2 isn't accessible or the folder may be located on an unavailable volume or protected with a password"

there is no folder i am trying to access or save, it is a Word file? It is like the OS is recognizing or thinking i am trying to access a folder by the name of the document i am trying to save. So it is seeing newreport2.doc as a folder trying to be opened not a document trying to be saved. Any ideas why this would be? or how to fix it?

i would greatly appreciate any info. thanks so much and have a blessed day,

Boutros

ps. There is a round about way to save the file, by copying it from the f: drive, to c:, editing, "save as" and then copy it back to f: but i hope to find another "real" solution. thank you

I had a user call me with that situation. I found out via google that it's related to one of MS's patches and prevents saving files in word from an XP machine onto a Win98 host.
If you put in the exact error message into google, you'll find the fix. There are a couple work arounds. To my recollection the one that worked was something similar to when clicking Save, you get the error message, click the cancel button and while holding the mouse button down, move it off the cancel button, then release the button. Something like that, but it works.

hello mister natural,

thanks for your reply, i searched for the error on google w/ no luck. it was as stated in the above post. If you happen to have the old link it would be greatly appreciated. Anyway, i will try the work around you mentioned and if ou find the link i would give you much thanks!!!

peace,
boutros

Back