Can't resolve DNS through wired, wireless is fine?

l1ghts

n00b
Making a post because this has happened to not one, but TWO computers that I own and I'm completely baffled.
Basically what has happened to these computers is that they cannot seem to resolve DNS at all through a wired connection, but wireless is fine. Windows troubleshooting indicates that everything seems fine, it just can't get a response from the DNS server. I run ESET Smart Security on both machines, and uninstalling it actually does not fix the issue, as well as reinstalling network drivers, so I'm starting to pin it down to a Windows specific bug. Allowing the DNS address to be assigned or assigning it myself to Google or whatnot does not fix the issue. I run a myriad of programs unfortunately and it's going to be very difficult pinning it down to a specific executable that is causing the issue, at least to my limited knowledge, and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar issue and would be able to share what caused it?

I can work around it with a stupid, weird fix of adding a USB NIC, which somehow, for some unknown alien reason, doesn't suffer from the DNS issue over time on both these systems.

So DHCP assigns IP/GW/DNS etc? Yet it fails to resolve hostnames? Can you ping IPs outside of your network in that scenario?

DHCP should be handling that, yes. I can't ping a hostname directly, I didn't actually think to try to ping other IPs except for google's DNS server 8.8.8.8 and actually got Request Failed errors a few times in command prompt.

I actually re-installed Windows and had the issue persist...so I'm starting to lock it to a router issue. I noted that if I spoofed my MAC address this (temporarily) resolved the problem. I'm baffled as to why the USB NIC doesn't have any issues with the router though.

ipconfig /all of wired and wireless output would be helpful.
Output of a tracrt to google.com would be helpful.
What wired and wireless devices are upstream, for example when you are wireless, what device do you connect to? When wired, what device do you connect to?
What are you using for a modem/router?
Is ipv6 enabled?

If you are having trouble pinging 8.8.8.8, your issue extends beyond DNS. I'll echo what previous poster suggested, all good info to have.

Finally think I got it after pinging around a bunch of different issues...posting it in case anyone else has a similar issue. I finally realized the issue was really linked to an Archer C7 router that I connect to frequently. This one kind of disillusioned me into thinking that the computers I worked with in general had this issue, but in reality, it was just the Archer C7 setup. The Archer C7 includes a DOS protection feature in its security suite, which can have a tendency to identify a computer connected for a while as a false positive, and effectively ban it from the list.

Restarting the router actually fixed the issue temporarily, which was strange. I've disabled DOS protection (firewalls and other features still up), and I think that seems to have fixed the issue.

The router itself could ping and resolve DNS, just the computers I used magically stopped being able to on the network. Think it was just a security false positive in the router software.

Back