Cant reset bios

demondrops

Limp Gawd
So, i was experementing with some settings i found online for my CPU (5820k) out of booredom. Boots fine, just fire up firestrike, half way through it, bsod hard crash. got the asus x99 a motherboard. tried moving the jumper to reset it, didnt work. took out batery, didnt work. i had this happen before but, now it just seems dead. all fans and lights come on just fine, but there are red led's flashing on the motherboard for ram vga and cpu. the error numbers on the mother board is out of wack also. is it possible i set wrong numbers and fried my cpu? only thing left i can think of is, i got me a thumbdrive now and will try to use the flash bios feature to reset to older version. any ideas what is up?

A quick and dirty way to reset a BIOS is a few hardboots in a row right after you power the system. So hit power and then hit it again and hold it. Do this 2 or 3 times and any BIOS I have had takes care of it.

You could have fried something, who knows, but you might as well try the above and see what happens.

I suspect the BIOS settings were fine, as you booted into windows atleast once.

yeah, probs some bios derp i hope. il try tomorrow im spent for today. didnt really do anything crazy in terms of voltages +++ either.

Unplug power cables from wall and motherboard and remove CMOS battery and let it sit for a while.

that i did before. waited 10 min, same result. just left it out over night also.. that have never really failed me before :(

Other than pull the CPU and maybe swap out the power supply, I am out of answers.

short the jumper, remove battery, remove power cord, hit the power button a few times then let it sit for 5 minutes. see if that gets it.

i got me a thumbdrive now and will try to use the flash bios feature to reset to older version. any ideas what is up?
Did you upgrade to 4101 bios? If so then you might be stuck with the same issue as me (and usb flashback doesn't do anything that I can see).

nope. tried the bios flashback feature i think... held in the button, put the schtick in. then light stops blinking. i had it sit for a while and tried booting, still dead. but all fans and things run, and lights also. but any connected periphals wont light up. really not sure what to do now. something must be bricked or ...

think that i will declare this PC dead. i think gfx or ram might be fine, but seems either motherboard or cpu is dead. cant say i want to put either ram or gfx in new pc... would that be safe?

pull the cpu, do what i posted above and then power it up without the cpu. wait a minute then power off and reseat the cpu. try booting again.

ok tried all suggestions now. another thing, when i pulled the cpu, i got constant red led for cpu. and there are like a red cpu led, vga led and dram led. they dont light constant but turn on and off xD the q code field just cycle random letters. seems it must be a motherboard or cpu issue i guess.

figure il get some cheap mb and cpu.. cant say i want to put any of these components in my pc before i know they are not fucked up :p

Last edited:
Back