• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cant read data on cds, or USB drives.

Joined
Jan 12, 2005
Messages
6
My computer has recently decided to stop reading CDs. I burned a CD today on a different computer and then put it in mine. The autorun kicked in and recognised it as a blank cd, when i clicked on the "open writable cd folder" option there were no files. So I went to my My computer and opened it from there, still no files. I burnt approx 500megs of information and it dissapeared. Thats when I noticed that the free space available on this supposed blank cd was down to 200 megs, so the data was there somewhere. The first thing i thought of was I had recently updated the aspi layer on the computer i burnt the cd with. So I unistalled the aspi layer, burnt another cd, took it to my computer, same problem. I then tried a cd I knew i had used before, still unable to read it. I then tried putting the aspi update on a floppy and taking it to my pc that way. My PC said the disk needed formatting without even trying to read it. I then tried putting the aspi update on my USB stick and taking it to my computer, My computer said the disk needs to be formatted. I then tried putting the aspi update on my moblie phones mmc card and taking it to my computer, and guess what, my computer said the disk needed formatting. I'm now a bit stumped. I rarely post on forums because normally I can figure it out. Maybe it's simple and I've overlooked it but any help would be much appeciated. Sorry about the lengthy explanation but i didn't know how else to explain it. :confused:
 
sounds like its time for a reload :D

which ASPI protocol are you using (adaptec, Nero, etc)?

Have you tried a different cd burner? or trying your cd burner in a different computer?
 
I have two computers. The one I'm using right now, which is on the net and a standalone one. The standalone is the one I'm having problems with, I havn't updated the aspi layer on the standalone as I was unable to, (no way to transfer except for the lengthy and annoying USB crosssover cable). Thing is I even tried CDs that I have used before on the standalone and I face the same problems. As far as I know I havn't changed anything on the standalone, I only mentioned aspi as this is how I discovered that i couldnt read floppies and memory sticks as well as cdrs. One more thing, the standalone has recently been taken off a University network where my Son was hooked up to the internet through the University network in his study bedroom. Don't know if this has anything to do with it?
 
Back
Top