Limp Gawd
Alright, my setup:

eVGA nForce 680i SE
Intel e8400
2GB G.SKILL PC2-8500 DDR2
eVGA 9800GT
Corsair 520HX
WD 640GB HD

I don't know what the hell is wrong, but I cannot for the life of me reach stability at even stock speeds (3.0ghz/800mhz). I have the stock Intel heatsink + fan on my processor, it's still tight. With settings at 2.8/750, SpeedFan shows 41/40 on the two cores. All voltages are default except my memory, which is bumped up to 2.1 because that's what GSkill recommends for my sticks. Their CL timing is at stock, 5-5-5-15 2T. As soon as I bump it up to 3.0ghz/800mhz, though, I get random reboots. Is my processor bad? It's less than a year old, never been overclocked (always was going to, never got around to it). The system was running an e6750 previously that I overclocked pretty high, but it eventually died so I replaced it with the e8400. Anyone have any clue what the hell is going on?

Try resetting your BIOS, and leaving all settings related to your CPU and RAM at Auto (including RAM speed and timings). If that doesn't help, try running memtest.

Try resetting your BIOS, and leaving all settings related to your CPU and RAM at Auto (including RAM speed and timings). If that doesn't help, try running memtest.

That's actually how I remembered about this issue. I just set my clocks back when I first got the new processor, because I didn't have time to fix it right then, and then I forgot about it. I had to reset my BIOS today and that's when I was reminded of it with the reboots again.

I'll try memtest when I get home tomorrow.

also check the stock voltage its setting it at.. could for some odd reason be setting it to low.. or the board has a lot of vdroop..

I will like to add, I too have this problem expect its from my ram. I was overclocking one day and I pushed my ram too far and it couldn't go and farther, it wouldn't boot. Reset CMOS and it booted with default settings, I Orthros right after boot up and it failed under 1 min.

I came straight to the conclusion I think I fryed my ram. Then I went to BIOS and upped my ram's voltage a bit over stock, and it now runs Orthros 24/7.

Why now after that failed overclock my ram wont be stable at stock voltage/speed?

@ kevinzak: You need the latest BIOS to run a Wolfdale C2D - do you have the P08 version ???

@ kevinzak: You need the latest BIOS to run a Wolfdale C2D - do you have the P08 version ???

You win, except I have a 680i SLI like I said so I needed the P33 version. Flashed and everything is stable. I feel like a moron for not thinking about it. Thanks.

Back