• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Can't POST new x58 build. CPU dead?

erkzh

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 2, 2008
Messages
313
I've been working on this build for a month replacing parts and such but I just can't get it to POST!

Currently I have:
MSI x58 Platinum
i7 920
4x1gb OCZ DDR3-1333
GTX 280


Alright so after everything is plugged in I turn it on, everything spins up to full speed, stays for 10 seconds or so, and then it turns off and restarts. Nothing ever shows up on screen and there are no beeps.

I have switched out the mobo with an MSI x58 Pro, same results
I have tried using only 1 of the sticks of ram (in the 2nd slot as instructed) and 2 sticks an 3 sticks.
I have tried using my backup 6200LE instead of the 280
I have tried a different power supply and also the current power supply on a diff computer. The power supply is fine and has plenty of 12v amps
I have cleared CMOS
I have installed the stock heatsink fan correctly
I have tried both with and without extraneous cables (sata, ide, front usb etc.) plugged into the mobo

Nothing gives me different results.
If I run with no ram at all it'll give me beeps

So I'm thinking it's time to RMA the cpu, discuss?
 
I'm having a similar issue with my new P6T Deluxe. Fans spin up, lights on board come on, drives kick on, but no video and no POST. Took all the same troubleshooting steps you did, no dice.

I'm pretty sure my issue is with the board though. Upon close inspection with a flash light, I found a tiny piece of ash and a nearly microscopic melted mark on a tiny little chip in a row of identical chips between the last two PCI-E slots. I strongly suspect this is the culprit.

I purchased an Rampage II Extreme. I really want to get my new rig running, and was debating about getting the RIIE anyway. I'll RMA the other one, then keep the one I like best once it comes back.

In short, I'm pretty sure it's either CPU or mobo (quite possibly the former since you've been able to test another mobo in your case), but it starts getting really hard to tell when you can't even scare a fucking beep out of the stupid thing. :mad:
 
Back
Top