Can't play this damn AVI

jamezzz122

Supreme [H]ardness
Well I have this movie that is two parts. Both are AVI files. When I try to play the first one, I get the error message for Windows Media Player "This pin cannot use the supplied media type." It pops up in an error window but there is still the AVI playing in the Windows Media PLayer behind it but with no sound. It closes when I "ok" the error. But when I try to play the second one, it is fine. What is going on? Is there a better video file player out there? I don't need a audio since I use Winamp.

This could be an issue with codecs or with the media player itself. Since you are open to alternative video players, look into VLC as an alternative. It works with all popular codecs and is both efficient with CPU and easy to use. Why continue to bother with media player?

For codecs, I have the latest FFDSHOW ones...I will update my sound card drivers and report back...

DAmmit...I updated my soundcard drivers and I still get that error...So is there anything I can do if I wanna play it in WMP9? Or do Ihave to use an alternate player?

Maybe try updating your codecs, specifically the one that the video uses. Use GSpot to identify the codec that the video uses.

M11 said:
Maybe try updating your codecs, specifically the one that the video uses. Use GSpot to identify the codec that the video uses.

Wow that is a nifty little program...Maybe this will help me out!

jamezzz122 said:
Wow that is a nifty little program...Maybe this will help me out!
Once you find out which codec it uses, update that codec specifically. Avoid the "All-In-One" codec packs, as they can be problematic.

Hmm...It said I was missing a video codec. The codec I was missing was the Xvid one. So I went and got it. Now I still get the error.

I have all required codecs, newest soundcard drivers, and still am getting messages...Any other ideas? Help!

seriously, try media player classic, interface like wmp 6.4, but way way better. it has an internal renderer for divx, xvid, dvd, and lots of ther stuff. i use it for everything.

ninethreeeleven said:
Are you sure there is not a problem with the avi file itself? Have you tried it on any other systems?

The AVI is fine...I played it with PowerDVD fine...I hate the interface they give though...I am used to the WMP interface...I might have to try this MPC out...

well, another player you could try is winamp 5. get the latest version, it's at winamp.com

if not try latest version of divx, or maby an older version of divx.

Back