Can't Overclock to save my life!

lttletimmy

n00b
Hey Everyone,

I've been trying my i7 920 overclock, and can't seem to get my computer to even BOOT with anything but the default settings. I first tried to go by the settings used in this guide:

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/22106-core-i7-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

But had no success, tried lowering the BCLK even more to 140 and it still won't boot. I have a good heat sink and I suspect my RAM may be my bottleneck, but here are my relevant specs:

Core i7 920
Asus P6T Mobo
Xigmatek Dark Knight CPU Heatsink
6x 2 gb G-Skill 1333 mhz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231230
Corsair 750TX PSU

Settings I'm trying to implement:

Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual
CPU Ratio Setting - Auto (If you are NOT using a 920, please set this manually to 21)
Intel (R) SpeedStep (TM) Tech - Enabled
Intel (R) Turbo Mode Tech - Enabled
BCLK Frequency - 160
PCIE Fequency - 100
DRAM Frequency - DDR3 - 1282MHz
DRAM CAS# Latency - 8 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay - 8 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# PRE Time - 8 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# ACT Time - 20 DRAM Clock

CPU Voltage 1.10000v
CPU PLL Voltage - Auto
QPI/DRAM Voltage - Auto
IOH Voltage - Auto
IOH PCIE Voltage - Auto
ICH Voltage - Auto
ICH Voltage - Auto

DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.60v
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA - Auto
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHA - Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB - Auto
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHB - Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC - Auto
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHC - Auto

I've tried the DRAM frequency one click lower (962 mhz i think it was), tried the CPU Voltage up to 1.2v, and am afraid to go any higher than 1.6v on the DRAM voltage since my G-skill ram is only rated from 1.5-1.6v.

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, I'm a little new to overclocking. The computer runs like a champ at default settings but seems to completely break down at anything other than the stock settings. Any advice?

First two things that I'd think about are:

1) RAM timings could be too aggressive. More sticks of RAM that you have the less forgiving the settings are. You need to make sure the system can boot and run with the RAM settings as you have them above, without overclocking your CPU, 1st. I don't run DDR3, so I don't know what the norms are.

2) CPU may have a VID below 1.2v. You can check the VID by booting at stock/auto setting and checking it with a program like CPU-Z within Windows or the CPU voltage may be contained within your BIOS. (After setting BIOS to default/auto, make sure you do a system reset, before checking BIOS readings.) You can safely assume that booting at like 1.35V is not dangerous, as long as your heatsink and fan are properly attached. General rule of the older Intel chips was to try to stay at or under 1.4V if possible, not sure if that applies with the newest chips.

Last edited:
Intel (R) Turbo Mode Tech - Enabled

CPU Voltage 1.10000v
CPU PLL Voltage - Auto
QPI/DRAM Voltage - Auto

What I would do;

Disable Turbo mode!

Increase vcore to 1.25-135v.
Increase CPU PLL to 1.85-1.9v (Might want to start with QPI below first. QPI is IMPORTANT!)
Match the QPI voltage with the vcore, or within 0.5v. (I think this may be your issue, but I'm simply guessing.)

Good luck.

P.S.

Forgot to mention disable HT to, at least til you find a stable OC without it.

Last edited:
Back