Can't overclock past 3.2GHz on my E6750 with P35-DS3R

LucasG

Gawd
I have been trying everytime there is a new BIOS release to get past 3.2GHz but I never can. After making manual voltage arrangements and putting the FSB past 400 when the computer shuts down and is going to start, it starts but the fans spin real fast making a loud noise with no image on the monitor and then the computer shuts down, it does that again like 1 or 2 times and then when I get in the BIOS the FSB is back to 333 (my past overclock is erased).

Now, If I set Automatic voltage the clocks will stay and the computer will boot but Orthos will give an error after 2 minutes with: "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4"

Anyone have any ideas why my voltage is reset if on manual and won't start with the overclock?

It's pissing me off and I've been trying to fix it for months!

Help is appreciated

Everything is reseting because your manual arrangements are crap. You should be happy that board is n00b proof & resets itself automatically :)

You should have included the following info:
What BIOS are you using?
What voltages are you using? CPU/MCH/DDR/FSB
What are your idle & load temps @3.2?

Obvious problem:
Your RAM is DDR2 800 right?? If your CPU Host Frequency in the BIOS is @ 400 & your System Memory Multiplier SPD = 2 your RAM is @800.
You will need to relax the timings and maybe even raise the DDR2 voltage (b carefull) a little if you want to try to go higher.

What other options have you changed in the BIOS? I change the following on my gigabyte boards.

(Power Management Setup)
ACPI Suspend Type: S1 (POS)

(Advanced Features)
CPU Enhanced Halt (CIE): Disable
CPU Thermal Monitor (TM2): Disable (I enabled and set it to 60 after I got a stable OC)
CPU EIST Function: Disable

(M.I.T.) Press Ctrl+F1 once on the main screen to get all of the options.
System Memory Multiplier SPD = 2
C.I.A.2: Disable
Performance Enhanced: Standard (Turbo is the Default).
PCIEx Frequency: 100mhz

Temps permitting I would start with the following settings and work them down as low as possible.
FSB +.2
MCH +.2
CPU 1.35-1.45

Remember very relaxed RAM timings.
The boards DDR2 default is 1.8. My DDR2 800 RAM was rated for 2.2 so I had to add +4
I also disabled the CPU Smart Fan Control to force fans to run @ MAX!

I use prime95v254 for stability testing. http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=8981 I like the three different test because if I find myself failing the blend test and passing the others then I know the RAM is the likely culprit. I use speedfanbeta (the normal version reports the wrong temps) and coretemp to monitor temps.
http://www.almico.com/sfbetaprogram.php
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Everything is reseting because your manual arrangements are crap. You should be happy that board is n00b proof & resets itself automatically :)

You should have included the following info:
What BIOS are you using?
What voltages are you using? CPU/MCH/DDR/FSB
What are your idle & load temps @3.2?

Obvious problem:
Your RAM is DDR2 800 right?? If your CPU Host Frequency in the BIOS is @ 400 & your System Memory Multiplier SPD = 2 your RAM is @800.
You will need to relax the timings and maybe even raise the DDR2 voltage (b carefull) a little if you want to try to go higher.

What other options have you changed in the BIOS? I change the following on my gigabyte boards.

(Power Management Setup)
ACPI Suspend Type: S1 (POS)

(Advanced Features)
CPU Enhanced Halt (CIE): Disable
CPU Thermal Monitor (TM2): Disable (I enabled and set it to 60 after I got a stable OC)
CPU EIST Function: Disable

(M.I.T.) Press Ctrl+F1 once on the main screen to get all of the options.
System Memory Multiplier SPD = 2
C.I.A.2: Disable
Performance Enhanced: Standard (Turbo is the Default).
PCIEx Frequency: 100mhz

Temps permitting I would start with the following settings and work them down as low as possible.
FSB +.2
MCH +.2
CPU 1.35-1.45

Remember very relaxed RAM timings.
The boards DDR2 default is 1.8. My DDR2 800 RAM was rated for 2.2 so I had to add +4
I also disabled the CPU Smart Fan Control to force fans to run @ MAX!

I use prime95v254 for stability testing. http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=8981 I like the three different test because if I find myself failing the blend test and passing the others then I know the RAM is the likely culprit. I use speedfanbeta (the normal version reports the wrong temps) and coretemp to monitor temps.
http://www.almico.com/sfbetaprogram.php
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

BIOS F11
RAM .2
CPU 1.38125 (it was running stable on that with 3.2ghz)
FSB .2

I have Ram at 1:1 with Cpu frequency overclock so it was running at 900 i believe when doing 3.2Ghz.

Orthos error. I was doing good until 15 minutes with the following:

DDR +.2
FSB +.2
MCH +.2
CPU 1.45

And Orthos gave FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4.

Any ideas? If I lowered the CPU voltage to like 1.38125 the error is like on the 1st 2 minutes.

What are your temps like?? idle &load
Are you sure your RAM isn't contributing to your problem?? Try memtest86
What are your RAM timings?
Did you try 1.47?
Whats your Vdrop look like?

BIOS F11
I have Ram at 1:1 with Cpu frequency overclock so it was running at 900 i believe when doing 3.2Ghz.

Thats impossible. The lowest FSB ram mulitplier this mobo will allow is 2X.
You need to check that again. I can garrentee thats prolly your problem. When mine was set to 3.2Ghz, the ram was at 2X multiplier, which made the ram run at 800mhz exact.

If your RAM is running at 900mhz, with your CPU multi at 8X and your FSB at 400, your RAM settings are not correct. Change the RAM multi to 2X and try to boot.

Just set your memory divider so that your RAM is always running under DDR2-800. That way you eliminate it from your test. Cuz right now you have no idea if its the RAM or the CPU or the board thats limiting you. This way youll be able to test your board and CPU without worring about the RAM.

In my case, I was just too lazy to test my RAM after I got my CPU OC done and just left it at DDR2-750 :D

Just set your memory divider so that your RAM is always running under DDR2-800. That way you eliminate it from your test. Cuz right now you have no idea if its the RAM or the CPU or the board thats limiting you. This way youll be able to test your board and CPU without worring about the RAM.

In my case, I was just too lazy to test my RAM after I got my CPU OC done and just left it at DDR2-750 :D

He can not do that.
If the FSB is 400mhz (which is the only way to get a 6750 to 3.2Ghz), the lowest the RAM multipler can go is 2.0X, which = 800mhz

8X is the max CPU multipler for a 6750. Obviously going lower will not work, unless he wants to fry his RAM.

Thats impossible. The lowest FSB ram mulitplier this mobo will allow is 2X.
You need to check that again. I can garrentee thats prolly your problem. When mine was set to 3.2Ghz, the ram was at 2X multiplier, which made the ram run at 800mhz exact.

If your RAM is running at 900mhz, with your CPU multi at 8X and your FSB at 400, your RAM settings are not correct. Change the RAM multi to 2X and try to boot.
Way to mess up a thread!
Read the title of the THREAD AGAIN (past 3.2GHz ) not (3.2GHz)

CPU mulitpler (8x) X CPU host/FSB (450) = 3.6
If the system memory multiplier SPD is set at 2.0 then his RAM would be @ 900

Way to mess up a thread!
Read the title of the THREAD AGAIN (past 3.2GHz ) not (3.2GHz)

CPU mulitpler (8x) X CPU host/FSB (450) = 3.6
If the system memory multiplier SPD is set at 2.0 then his RAM would be @ 900

Originally Posted by LucasG

If its not working right at 3.2, its not going to work right any faster.
Nice reading there.

If its not working right at 3.2, its not going to work right any faster.
Nice reading there.

Yeah, I just threw it out there, I didn't really remember how much it did or took the time to calculate.

Anyways, I just got it to go to 3.4GHz stable. Over 20 minutes passed on Orthos. I will post the voltages later. The CPU is at max load like around 60 - 65 C. Idle is around 42 or so.

Back