Can't open 22 on Linksys router??

DunM@

Limp Gawd
I've got a Linksys router and I'm trying to SSH into my home machine (dunmatt.com), however in the UPnP Forwarding page of the router setup neither SSH nor SFTP are in the Preset Applications list. Whenever I try to add it to the customized applications list, if I use internal port 22 (external port shouldn't matter, right? though I've tried it both ways) via TCP it gives me the error "Failure: No space to add Virtual Server or have a duplication port:ssh." I get the same error if I try to use port 22 in Port Range Forwarding.

Not only that, but if I set the Preset Application for FTP to internal port 22 it makes the changes successfully, but doesn't work. So the question is, what else in the router is set to port 22 (I've looked and couldn't find anything that had a 22 in it) that might conflict with the UPnP forwarding? Also how would I fix it?

Edit: I should also mention that if I keep Preset FTP at internal port 21 as is default it works completely, likewise if I SSH from a machine on the LAN via IP address (thus bypassing the router) on port 22 it also works fine.

Edit again: Forgive me for being retarded, I assumed it was a linksys because that's what I usually buy, upon further inspection of the upper left corner of the screen it turns out that it's a Network Everyhwere nr041... so if you can solve my first two questions here's the extra credit: how did I get this router (I didn't buy it)?

I don't think you are on the right page to do the thing you want. You shouldn't be on the UPnP page to setup your port forwarding. There should be another page in the router labled port forwarding where you can specify the range of ports (22 to 22) and the address you want the port forwarded to (the machine you want to SSH into).

I'm fairly sure this is where what I want should be (after all, this is the correct place to turn on things like www forwarding, which I did), but the problem is that I've tried both ways, a range and the UPnP, neither work, same error for both.

Weird. I will try to see if I can find anything on that router. On my linksys I had to seperate pages for UPnP and Port Forwading so yours might all be on one page. I really don't know unless I can see screenshots of the configuration screen. Do you have a way to host those and display them here?

I'd love to say, "Yes! I'll just put them on my brand new webserver." but without sftp and ssh I have no way to get them there :( . I'll try to work around, but in the mean time I'll just tell you, they are not on the same page, though the pages they are on link to each other.

Found this on the Network Everywhere site. The items in bold might fix your problem or at least point you in the right direction.

http://www.networkeverywhere.com/support/routersupport.asp#adv

Forwarding

Port forwarding sets up public services on your network. When users from the Internet make certain requests of your network, the router will forward those requests to the appropriate computer. The router's DHCP function must be disabled to use Forwarding. Forwarding is generally used to set up a webserver, ftp server, or e-mail server on your network.

To add a server using Forwarding:

* Enter the port number used by the server. On the same line, enter the IP Address of the server that you want the Internet users to be able to access.
* Configure as many entries as you would like until all of the link entries are filled.
* Click the Apply to save the settings.

Work around found

upnp.gif

forwarding.gif

Hmmm, that's odd, because it's most definately doing the DHCP for the network and has port 80 and 8767 forwarding. Also all of the halo custom ones work when they're enabled, even with dhcp. I'll try disabling dchp to see if it helps.

Yea I don't know why you would have to disable the dhcp service on the router to do port forwarding. I thought that was weird also.

KevinO said:
Yea I don't know why you would have to disable the dhcp service on the router to do port forwarding. I thought that was weird also.

it's recommended that you either disable dhcp, assign a static dhcp address, or assign a static ip address to a machine you're using with port forwarding. otherwise, it's ip address might change and then all the services would be pointing to the wrong address. i'm not sure if that guide was saying that the router needs to have dhcp disabled or just that it's the right way to do things in their opinion

Tried it without DHCP, no luck. I suspect they say that's a requrement because they don't feel like explaining to people that "it's not broken, it's just routing to the wrong place" every time the server being forwarded to gets a different IP.

Edit: beat me to the punch.

Can you change the port that SSH listens on and then add it to the customs list? I didn't see that in your previous screenshots. I know ssh defaults to 22 and I am assuming it will let you do that. I tried to do a search on that error etc but came up with nothing.

Back