Can't OC even 1 MHz???

monkeynetman

Limp Gawd
Hey guys I got a weird thing going on here...

Q6600 + EP35-DS3R (with F3 BIOS)

The problem:
1. I set the FSB from 266 to 267 in BIOS
2. Save and exit the BIOS
3. Computer restarts, but as soon as it loads in shuts off and turns on again
4. It restores to default setting

Now... if I used the built-in OC AI, it works, but temperature reading goes whacky.

What I've tried:
1. Added more voltage to motherboard/CPU/memory
2. Reflashed to older BIOS
3. Checked with 3 different power supplies (Corsair HX520, Toughpower 650, Earthwatt 500)
4. Temperature reads 32C for idle and 48 load on stock, so I believe I have headrooms for OC

Anybody with this board and processor combo - and had this issue before?

Hey guys I got a weird thing going on here...

Q6600 + EP35-DS3R (with F3 BIOS)

The problem:
1. I set the FSB from 266 to 267 in BIOS
2. Save and exit the BIOS
3. Computer restarts, but as soon as it loads in shuts off and turns on again
4. It restores to default setting

Now... if I used the built-in OC AI, it works, but temperature reading goes whacky.

What I've tried:
1. Added more voltage to motherboard/CPU/memory
2. Reflashed to older BIOS
3. Checked with 3 different power supplies (Corsair HX520, Toughpower 650, Earthwatt 500)
4. Temperature reads 32C for idle and 48 load on stock, so I believe I have headrooms for OC

Anybody with this board and processor combo - and had this issue before?

try just pushing it to a fsb of 300 or something.. and loosen the memory timings. if it still doesnt work.. bring down the multiplier to 6x and see if it OCs

Are you sure you're locking the PCI and PCIe busses to 33mhz and 101mhz respectively?

try just pushing it to a fsb of 300 or something.. and loosen the memory timings. if it still doesnt work.. bring down the multiplier to 6x and see if it OCs
Did try the 300, but it does the same thing.

Will try the multiplier next as soon as I'm out of the office. Thanks.

Right, check the multi. Memtest as well. Make sure turbo boost is set to standard, set your primary mem latencies yourself - the rest to auto, set mem voltage to +x depending on what your memory needs (baseline is 1.8v, +3 gives 2.1v), set MCH, PCIE, FSB voltage manually to +1, set your CPU voltage manually.

Better yet, if you've bought the board recently, just return it. Mine has problems holding my OC (Q6600@400x8 3.2ghz) when starting from sleep/suspend, and it seems to be a common issue for these boards from what I've seen on forums. It's got a rather large vdrop too (BIOS 1.55v -> idle 1.5v, load 1.49v). It was a fair deal for me, but, with X38 boards only $20 or so more, I regretted it.

Hello and welcome to Gigabye "stupid mode". One great this about this mode is that the boards never actually tell you when this gets enabled, it just happens for seemingly no reason. These board do this, and its fairly shocking that they do not get roasted on the forums pretty regularly for it. Once this happens, nothing most people would normally do will get the board out of this mode, it just will not take new settings. One way you could tell if this stupid mode was enable on DS3Ls was to go into the FSB setting and see if it let you go down to 100 MHz. Anyway, you can usually fix this, here is what you do...

0) Do not bother asking Gigabyte to help, they will not acknowledge the problem and just send you down a roller coaster of standard troubleshooting that does not fix it.
1) Update to the latest BIOS and reset to defaults if you are currently running and older BIOS. If not, no big deal
2) Remove all power from the board, so just UNPLUG it from the wall since you don't want to be poking around inside the PC with any chance that the PSU is turned on
3) Wait a good 15 minutes (seriously...)
4) Reset the CMOS
5) Wait another few minutes, re-attach power, turn the system on, and try new BIOS settings. The trick here is that the board needs to be completely off power for a length of time, only then does it finally clear whatever setting is causing this. Presumably when you were swapping PSUs you did it pretty quickly and the board did not get reset, or you did not reset the CMOS when you did it. Then you can kick back and wait for this to happen again.
6) All these steps may not actually fix this, then you are screwed

Anyway this happened to me a few times when I first got a DS3L, then it was fine for almost a month, then it happened again and I went through the same thing. Found a ton of reports around the net of people having the same problems with the boards just stuck at defaults without reporting anything to the user, which is pretty much fail for an "enthusiast" motherboard. It was maddening to deal with and I checked and went through so many things that had nothing to do with the problem (shitty motherboard). Anyway after I had the board for a while and the problem happened after a month, I trashed the board and replaced it with a MSI board. Never had a problem since. This is becoming quite and issue for a lot of people, including some people who have had their OCs reset to stock speeds and didn't even realize it. Before I ever opened this thread I was like "Gigabyte board I bet..." I cringe every time I see a Gigabyte board recommended on the forums.

Right, check the multi. Memtest as well. Make sure turbo boost is set to standard, set your primary mem latencies yourself - the rest to auto, set mem voltage to +x depending on what your memory needs (baseline is 1.8v, +3 gives 2.1v), set MCH, PCIE, FSB voltage manually to +1, set your CPU voltage manually.

Better yet, if you've bought the board recently, just return it. Mine has problems holding my OC (Q6600@400x8 3.2ghz) when starting from sleep/suspend, and it seems to be a common issue for these boards from what I've seen on forums. It's got a rather large vdrop too (BIOS 1.55v -> idle 1.5v, load 1.49v). It was a fair deal for me, but, with X38 boards only $20 or so more, I regretted it.

Tried the multipliers - no go...
Memtest - pass 2x for stock speeds, 800 speeds, even with "turbo mode" on
Set the voltages by adding 1 to all and +3 to the memory - still no go...

Didn't buy this recently - so unfortunately can't do a replacement...

Did search a little further and it does seem this is a little "too" common...

Hello and welcome to Gigabye "stupid mode". One great this about this mode is that the boards never actually tell you when this gets enabled, it just happens for seemingly no reason. These board do this, and its fairly shocking that they do not get roasted on the forums pretty regularly for it. Once this happens, nothing most people would normally do will get the board out of this mode, it just will not take new settings. One way you could tell if this stupid mode was enable on DS3Ls was to go into the FSB setting and see if it let you go down to 100 MHz. Anyway, you can usually fix this, here is what you do...

0) Do not bother asking Gigabyte to help, they will not acknowledge the problem and just send you down a roller coaster of standard troubleshooting that does not fix it.
1) Update to the latest BIOS and reset to defaults if you are currently running and older BIOS. If not, no big deal
2) Remove all power from the board, so just UNPLUG it from the wall since you don't want to be poking around inside the PC with any chance that the PSU is turned on
3) Wait a good 15 minutes (seriously...)
4) Reset the CMOS
5) Wait another few minutes, re-attach power, turn the system on, and try new BIOS settings. The trick here is that the board needs to be completely off power for a length of time, only then does it finally clear whatever setting is causing this. Presumably when you were swapping PSUs you did it pretty quickly and the board did not get reset, or you did not reset the CMOS when you did it. Then you can kick back and wait for this to happen again.
6) All these steps may not actually fix this, then you are screwed

Anyway this happened to me a few times when I first got a DS3L, then it was fine for almost a month, then it happened again and I went through the same thing. Found a ton of reports around the net of people having the same problems with the boards just stuck at defaults without reporting anything to the user, which is pretty much fail for an "enthusiast" motherboard. It was maddening to deal with and I checked and went through so many things that had nothing to do with the problem (shitty motherboard). Anyway after I had the board for a while and the problem happened after a month, I trashed the board and replaced it with a MSI board. Never had a problem since. This is becoming quite and issue for a lot of people, including some people who have had their OCs reset to stock speeds and didn't even realize it. Before I ever opened this thread I was like "Gigabyte board I bet..." I cringe every time I see a Gigabyte board recommended on the forums.

Yeah, well I tried all that before I made this thread and still no go... (sigh). Looks like my future build won't be using Gigabyte boards.

Seems like I'll be stuck with stock speeds until then. Not that's a bad thing or anything... just wished I could overclock it manually instead of using its built.

Many thanks to all the inputs.

... -snip-
Before I ever opened this thread I was like "Gigabyte board I bet..." I cringe every time I see a Gigabyte board recommended on the forums.
QFT, me too :(

@ monkeynetman: please try one thing for me - set the Legacy USB Storage Detect to Disabled in the BIOS and report back if the OC works, because yesterday one fellow forum member managed to get rid of this "stupid mode" disabling that item ;)

If the above mentioned thing doesn't work, then you should do a proper CMOS resetting followed by a Load Optimized Defaults and after that leave the memory multiplier and timings alone and change the FSB - see if it works.

Please report back :cool:

Yeah, my old DS3L board had the same "feature" until I replaced with a Abit IP35-E. After all the frustration I had with the board it felt good to monkey stomp it a couple of times for good measure. :D

I may have anger issues from time to time...

The problem is with the "E" designation (for "environment", I think) on the board, which is Gigabyte's new tree-hugging feature. My board had exactly the same problem. I had to wait about 2 months for the new BIOS (F5 or 6) to be released, which completely fixed the problem.

Now it OC's like a motherfukca!

The problem is with the "E" designation (for "environment", I think) on the board, which is Gigabyte's new tree-hugging feature. My board had exactly the same problem. I had to wait about 2 months for the new BIOS (F5 or 6) to be released, which completely fixed the problem.

Now it OC's like a motherfukca!

I had this problem on a non-E board :rolleyes:

Back