can't move window to top of screen

SirMarty

Weaksauce
My wife just got a new Dell Inspiron 17r (I5, Intel HD w/ nvidia geforce 525m, windows 7) I can't move any of the windows to the top of the screen. It stops about 50 pixels from the top. Doens't matter if its Chrome, or Windows Explorer, anything I try moving up there, won't fill the space. Maximize won't do it and evening using a non-full screen window, it won't move up to the top fully. Any ideas ?

I am having the exact same issue with a Dell XPS 15. It is possible to see and access the desktop along the top edge of the screen, but it is impossible to move any window into that space. Interestingly though, maximizing a video with VLC allows it to fill the entire screen. I haven't been able to find a fix for this behavior yet. This is seen in both the i7 15" as well as an i5 15" XPS - so it seem pretty standard for these Dell machines.

Try reinstalling video drivers? If that doesn't work, maybe a clean reload?

Here is the screenshot. The red circle at the top highlights the space at the top of the screen that I can't place a window in, but that whole row extends accross the whole screen. All drivers are updated also.

screenshot.jpg

Don't mind the colour scheme. Its the wife's laptop.

I just noticed. If I drag a non-maximized window to the top of the screen, it seems windows wants to maximize it automatically (it shows it maximized in a shadow) and if I let go of the mouse button, it will maximize, but still leaving the top bit unused. Anyone else have any other ideas ?

The behavior you show is actually part of this Windows 7 feature, but the gap isn't.

Seems like some program is preventing applications from using up that space. Maybe some transparent, windowless program is docked up there.

Run this from the command line:
wmic /output:C:\temp.txt product get name, version
Upload the contents of C:\temp.txt to pastebin.com and reply with a link.

Thanks for the idea Snowknight26. And you were right. I found this site
that pointed me to Dell's DataSafe software. Once disabled that from running, the screens are maximizing fine now. Thanks !

Strange. We have several similar Dell laptops at work, each with the DataSafe software, but none of them have that issue. (Well, maybe some do, but it's not as if anyone is computer literate enough to know that that's a bug. :p)

In found the same thing with my new Dell XPS17, and found this thread, basically the quick fix is to drag your taskbar to the top of the screen and then down to the bottom again (full instructions in the link). I have now also uninstalled DataSafe because it was getting annoying.

You were right on the money...as soon as the uninstall of the Dell backup software started, the windows would maximize to full screen. Thanks.

Back