Can't Make A Decision (RAGE)

OK so I got my tax refund and I want to do a little upgrade and here are my options:

1) My friend is willing to trade me a sapphire dual x 7950 for my dual x 7970 and throw in $100 cash. In which case I would buy another 7950 for crossfire. This would be the best bang for buck option unfortunately due to the frame latency issues I'd likely sit on one card hoping for that prototype driver to come to us. I've owned 7950 xfire before and it drove me crazy. Maybe because I'm on 120hz its more noticeable.

2) Sell my 7970 for $350. Already have a buyer. Grab 2 Asus dc2oc 660ti for sli for $300 a pop. Good option for 1080p, but not sure the gain over an overclocked 7970 is worth it.

3) Bite the bullet and sell my 7970 and grab 2 670s. Problem here is I only want to spend enough to get reference 670s. MSI oc edition reference cards to be exact. Which can be had brand new near me for $350. The extra $125-$150 counting taxes for non reference cards is kind of out of my range.

4) Say screw it and spend $300-$400 on some watercooling.

Thanks for any input guys :confused::D

Go with the 660ti SLI setup.. That just will crush the HD 7970oc'd.. Im using at this moment 660ti FTW Signature 2 in SLI just why i was in the same dilema than you.. I had the oportunity to test several configurations in a LAN party with friends.. And in my system (check in sig).. For the prices, the 660ti SLI are just amazing... The 1250mhz factory OC on this card make a realy bump in performance... Also with the theme of the micro-stuttering i found that 660ti almost does not suffer from this issue, in fact when recorded the frametime on several games it was on the 16-18ms for non-high intensive games like skyrim.. And 17-35ms on the non optimized crysis 3.. Wich i just found a solution turn off ingame vsync and turn on forced vsync that idk why made possible to down to 16-27ms more stable even using adaptive vsync... Other history with the 7950Xfire setup where the frametime was just popping like hell from 25 - 75ms a huge change in the frametime like this just made me unistall all drivers, and turn off pc to keep on NVIDIA..

In the other point.. Same history with the 670 but c'mon that is just a overkill for my 1080p single solution.. Tested on a 1200p-120hz friend monitor, same history just overkill and man i have to admit was very skeptical and tadaa.. Very very smooth game play.. I was tempted to sell my 660ti and go with SLI 670 or even a single FTW signature 2 GTX 680 but no that was more than enough itself to handle all 1080p/1200p@60fps maxed out.. But well i had in the moment. 660ti the best option was just buy another 660ti.. And keep receiving more performance than the 680 so more lifetime with this setup..

That just my experience... So for my experience i keep on the line of the dual 660ti..

If you can wait till the end of the month, you may save some money. Now that's the hard choice!:D

i would say wait a bit until the geforce 700 series comes out, then prices may adjust in your favor

Both companies have said they're not releasing a new series until next year. Waiting more than half a year is not worth the wait to me. Ill just upgrade again then lol. BroHam do you mean because the AMD latency fix for crossfire drivers will be out by then. What are you insinuating ?

Since when was the last time you read the new rumored news about may 23rd? Hopefully start of the high end nvidia 700 series.

Since when was the last time you read the new rumored news about may 23rd? Hopefully start of the high end nvidia 700 series.

Dam... WTF to do now... Waiting sux lol

edit: meh if speculations are true 780 will only be 15% or so faster than a 680. 2 670s would still crush it. along with the TITAN for less money. Yes its sli. But at least its not crossfire LOL.

Dam... WTF to do now... Waiting sux lol

Definitely. I want to wait for 800 series, but prices may tempt me. All I know is my next vid card is going to have high VRAM. I sold/traded one of my 670 wind force x3, but still have another. I'm gonna sell that when the time is right. It's carrying 5760x1080 high settings ATM. I can't be mad with that one bit!

I'm depressed. Extra $ to spend on comp and for first time seams totally impractical. Y does crossfire have to suck. Would be so simple to just grab another 7970.

Lol, hide the money out of sight. Save some and add to it! Then you can get what you want.

I want a TITAN. If I had the money I wouldnt buy one. $750 card all day long. Nvidia need to stop with the rapage. Looks like 660ti 3gb sli could be a good choice. So new question 660ti 3gb dcu2 or reference 670. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?

Last edited:
I want a TITAN. If I had the money I wouldnt buy one. $750 card all day long. Nvidia need to stop with the rapage. Looks like 660ti 3gb sli could be a good choice. So new question 660ti 3gb dcu2 or reference 670. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?

Reference 670 by far...

Dude, the net loss you take on the sidegrade isn't worth it to scratch your upgrade itch.

I'd steer clear of dual amd cards for now unless you are mining...

With all the reports of runt and dropped frames I'd be weary

Dude, the net loss you take on the sidegrade isn't worth it to scratch your upgrade itch.

What am I losing ? Maybe for 660ti its kind of a loss. But moving from 7970 to 670 sli and getting metro last light for free seams quite appealing.

Get another 7970! I run 3 in tri fire and the only game that really stutters is Farcry 3, every game I play has zero problems otherwise. Games with no problems for me, BF 3, Metro, Crysis 1/2/3, Bad Company 2, Batman, Guild Wars 2, Skydtift, Borderlands 1/2, Skyrim, Dota 2, Sid Meiers Pirates, Civ5, Masse Effrect. 2/3 , Tomb Raider, Race 07, Need for Speed series ( all games Play fine) So I'm very Happy. Using a 2600k @ 4800 MHz, 8 gigs Corsair, Corsair 1200 psu, 3 Gigabyte reference 7970s all running at 1120/1700 24/7.

I had the 660 ti directcu2 oc in SLi for a bit (switched back to a single 680). They were quiet and cool, and outperformed my single 680 by a nice margin.

Just wait out and see if you can get a good deal on some custom 670's. I would rather wait for that instead of getting reference 670's, which run loud and hot.

Get another 7970! I run 3 in tri fire and the only game that really stutters is Farcry 3, every game I play has zero problems otherwise. Games with no problems for me, BF 3, Metro, Crysis 1/2/3, Bad Company 2, Batman, Guild Wars 2, Skydtift, Borderlands 1/2, Skyrim, Dota 2, Sid Meiers Pirates, Civ5, Masse Effrect. 2/3 , Tomb Raider, Race 07, Need for Speed series ( all games Play fine) So I'm very Happy. Using a 2600k @ 4800 MHz, 8 gigs Corsair, Corsair 1200 psu, 3 Gigabyte reference 7970s all running at 1120/1700 24/7.

Hmmm. Most people say of u limit fps with radeonpro it fixes the stutter issue. You are likely CPU limited in most games.Which would have tthesame effect. I previously had 7950 cf @1150/1700 and it was a mess in a lot of games. Far cry 3 and crysis 3 specifically. Crysis 3 wasn't that bad but it still ran slightly worse then a single card. Sky rim, borderlands 2, batman are all golden on a single card and run at very high fps. Main reason for the upgrade is crysis 3. Its so good i can stop playing it lol.

U have stutter in crysis 3 just by the fact of that game its a mess in optimization matter... U will have micro stutter even with single card.. U forgot also to mention that 3Xfire or 3SLI setup solve the problem with micro stutter in Xfire and SLI.. That have tested and tested for ages.. But c'mon 3 Xfire 7970?? Nice way to warn in winter xD.. Also huge amount of money to invest in cards, power supply and cooler solutions...

Also with the OP the galaxy 670 sounds good.. Go SLI 670 if u can.. Thats no way of be wrong that way..

I've got the same problem, can't make up my mind at all for graphics. Can't decide if my bias and experiences towards Nvidia/SLI with gaming outweighs the mining from AMD/xFire.

I bailed on the gc cards. They turned out to be $40 mail in rebate for the $375 price. Meaning $415. right beside them were 2 evga ftw signature 2 for $420. grabbed. Almost $1000 later with tax im flying threw crysis 3 at 120fps avg min of 100fps smoooooth as butter. gta 4 maxed out to the fullest with icenhancer 2.1 50-80fps smooth as butter. I'm loving these cards. stock boost on 1 is 1228mhz and 2nd is 1202mhz. 87% and 81% asic quality. My wallet is crying tho :p. reference 680 pcb if i ever want to throw blocks on them.

Rage runs like crap on my titan.

Hell rage runs like crap on everything don't buy the game.

I bailed on the gc cards. They turned out to be $40 mail in rebate for the $375 price. Meaning $415. right beside them were 2 evga ftw signature 2 for $420. grabbed. Almost $1000 later with tax im flying threw crysis 3 at 120fps avg min of 100fps smoooooth as butter. gta 4 maxed out to the fullest with icenhancer 2.1 50-80fps smooth as butter. I'm loving these cards. stock boost on 1 is 1228mhz and 2nd is 1202mhz. 87% and 81% asic quality. My wallet is crying tho :p. reference 680 pcb if i ever want to throw blocks on them.

exactly thats why i get the same FTW Signature 2 but in 660ti.. its the hell... gratz!! enjoy and play like a god..!

Back