Can't log into my router or access other computers on network

Archer75

Supreme [H]ardness
My 802.11g netgear router crapped out on me so I replaced it with a Linksys 4 port cable/dsl router that I had lying around. But for some reason I can't log into the router. IE just times out when trying to access it.
Nor can I see any of the other computers on my network. All of the computers are setup correctly and were working fine until that netgear router died. So I don't understand why I can't access those computers with the linksys router.

Originally posted by sigmend
What happens when you do ipconfig /renew ?

It spits the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway at me. I checked each of my computers on the network. They all have different IP addresses. And each address is an external address. I verified using www.whatismyip.org

Could you post the results please? ( ipconfig /renew )

Connection-specific DNS suffix: attbi.com
IP address: 24.21.xxx.xxx (don't whant to share my IP address with the world!)
Subnet Mask:255.255.252.0
Default Gateway:24.21.160.1

Originally posted by Archer75
Connection-specific DNS suffix: attbi.com
IP address: 24.21.xxx.xxx (don't whant to share my IP address with the world!)
Subnet Mask:255.255.252.0
Default Gateway:24.21.160.1
Your linksys box should be doing NAT and DHCP.
What model is the router?

what the hell?
Your linksys box should be doing NAT and DHCP.

Yes, it should be. I don't understand what's going on. First my Netgear stops working and now my trusty Linksys isn't working. I'm wondering if my ISP could be doing something that is causing this?

The Linksys is BEFSR41 and the Netgear is WGR614v2

Did the netgear have the same problem?

The netgear was working the night before. Then that morning it would'nt allow me to access the net or my other computers. Though the lights are on for ports 1-4 and internet access. No light is on indicating the unit has power. Rather strange.

I need to take off for awhile so i'll check your responses later. Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by Connundrum1
make sure your accessing 192.168.1.1 for the linksys router's config GUI page

That's what i've been doing. Even dusted off the manuals to be sure I was using the right IP address.

Originally posted by Archer75
That's what i've been doing. Even dusted off the manuals to be sure I was using the right IP address.

Did you set your IP to a 192.168.1.X address? If you are really getting an external IP, then you won't be able to access the router because you aren't on the same subnet. I'm kinda doubting you really have an external IP on your workstation. If you are running NAT www.whatismyip.org will not report the correct LAN IP address.

Try setting a static IP address in that range and try accessing the route again.

Found the problem. Had the ethernet cable from the modem to the router plugged into the wrong port. Plugged it into the right one and now all IP addresses are assigned by the router and everything is as it should be. Man do I feel like an idiot.

Still my Netgear router no longer works. Really pisses me off, the things only a couple of months old.

Back