Can't load Win 7... second time

zavier

Weaksauce
I had Windows 7 installed and operating perfectly for over a month but I accidentally deleted it. I have a Dell XPS 630i with 4Gig ram which I purchase less than 6 month ago. I have three hard drives. XP Pro is on disk 1, Vista is on disk 2 and I have Microsoft Server 2008 on disk 3 partition 1 and Win 7 on disk 3 partition 2. I wanted to remove MS server 2008 but I deleted Win 7. I used Gparted to delete the partition and then reformated the partition to NTFS.
My problem now is when I try to load Win 7 again it stops and displays 0xc00000e9. That error usually means that a device was turn off or unplugged during the install, or a bad Hard Drive. But neither one is the case. I only have a mouse and a keyboard connected and I still get the same error.

Any comments why I can't load Win 7 anymore ??
Thanks

Yes...It's beta version. So if it won't install the problem is on the CD and not my computer !!
Right ??

LOL what a mess.

Win7 keeps a log file of the install process, that will say whats wrong (usually, if it gets that far). \$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\ (maybe more)...\ setupact.log

That error can also mean a bad install disc, if you are using a different build or new dvd this time around you might want to reburn the dvd.

Since you had it installed and it worked fine and now it does not i'd say it has to do with the drive itself that you deleted the partition on. Not that the drive is bad but something is up with the partition. Have you deleted all partitions on that drive with the windows installer and then created a new one?
I don't know anything about gparted or the options it may give you but your drive also needs to use MBR and not GUID. I had a problem with a drive that was GUID even after I deleted the parititions and formatted it. Had to put the drive back in a OSX machine to change it to MBR. Probably not your problem though. But I have seen a number of funky issues over the years related to drive partitions. It's the main reason I now give each OS it's own drive and don't partition anything anymore.

Ritorix
Thanks for reply

"Win7 keeps a log file of the install process, that will say whats wrong (usually, if it gets that far). \$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\ (maybe more)...\ setupact.log

"That error can also mean a bad install disc, if you are using a different build or new dvd this time around you might want to reburn the dvd."

I did find a file in C:\windows\Panther\setupact.log and I opened it. I looked for 0xc00000e9 but nothing came up. Also all info in this file is dated Feb 10, 09.
I tried to install in another computer using the same CD and the result was the same stop code. Could be a bad CD...however, I deleted the original ISO file so now I can't burn another one. CD looks clean with no scratches. !!

Archer75. Thanks for reply.

"You said "I don't know anything about gparted or the options it may give you but your drive also needs to use MBR and not GUID."

BTW, I used EasyBCD to remove Win 7 from boot before I deleted/reformatted partition. Now I have dual boot for XP and Vista and that works fine.

Now...how do I find out what my drive is using ??? MBR or GUID. ??? Computer management ??

Ok...I might have found something.

Went to Computer Management and I can see the partition were Win 7 used to be. It's formatted in NTFS, primary and healthy.. BUT has no letter. I right click to properties and there is "used space" 8.74 Gigs. Seems like there is data in there.

I could change drive letter/path or format that partition. ? which ?

Suggestions

"I tried to install in another computer using the same CD and the result was the same stop code"

Yeah, you need to re-download the ISO.

Ritorix You are probably right.
Partition is now reformatted with the proper drive letter. Still can't install Win 7. It stops about a minute into the install.

I did try to install in another computer using the same CD and the result was the same stop code.

Like you said..."Yeah, you need to re-download the ISO." But it's not available anymore.

I will wait till win 7 final release is out and I will definitely buy it. !!

Back