Can't justify upgrade from e8400

eddie500

Gawd
Joined
Jan 23, 2003
Messages
1,009
I honestly can't justify an upgrade from an e8400. This Dual core is plenty fast enough in almost everything I do and all games I currently play. WIth my gtx260 it is also very fast.

The whole computing industry progress is really slowing. Gaming is also slowing probably mostly due to consoles.

I was considering an upgrade because its been like over 2 years since I got this, with 1 year on the video card and I really can't justify upgrading at this point. I honestly will probably see slight gains in what I currently use, so why shell out over $1000 dollars, totally pointless.

Only thing that may give reason is 120hz gaming, but thats all.

I am wondering if anyone agrees with me on this?
 
I agree wholeheartedly, only upgrade when you need to.

I'm still running my E8200 (stock) with a 4850 512MB, and I've seen no reason to upgrade because my gaming resolution is only 1280x960. I can play BFBC2 at that resolution on high DX10 with HBAO and 2xAA. And no, the processor is not holding my performance back (it's just barely enough).

120 Hz gaming is also enticing for me (it might be enough for me to give-up my CRT - the max refresh rate of 60Hz has been one reason I've held-out so long). But it's not enough to make me upgrade right now.

I want to upgrade to something impressive, but the major reason I hesitate is because I want a 32nm quad core (I hate power-hungry chips), and Intel is taking their sweet time releasing that. Even if they released the chip I want tomorrow, I think I would wait for Southern Islands, as the Radeon 5000 series is getting a little long in the tooth.
 
Back
Top