Can't install windows

weezle69

Weaksauce
I'm trying to reinstall windows on one of my pc's because i switched to a bigger hard drive and it gets through to the point where it has to reboot. When it shuts down it doesnt reboot at all it just shuts down and never comes back up. Ive tried 2 different hard drives, 3 copies of windows that I know work, a different cd drive, mother board and ram. Any other suggestions?

When you say 'shuts down and never comes back up,' I'm assuming the machine powers back on, what happens when you remove the CD and let it boot, are you getting some error or just a black screen with nothing once its past POST?

It goes to where the monitor goes off but i dont even get a post screen. The computer just hangs up at that point. when i try to manualy turn it off then on i get a error loading operating system messags

I've gotten that a few times, typically with Dell Optiplex motherboards that had bad capacitors. I've also seen this with bad memory and from time to time, bad video card.

How old are the motherboards you've tried? It sounds like you've used this computer for a while before reinstalling windows for the drive upgrade, prior to the reinstall did you notice any random lockups, reboots or strangeness where it wouldn't turn on after the first press from time to time?

If the PC is older, check the capacitors for rounded or 'expanded' tops/sides. Sometimes the electrolyte will push them up from the bottom as well. It seemed most common in motherboard from mid 2003 to early 2006, I've seen it mostly with ASUS but other vendors had the same issues, typically on cheaper boards.

While unlikely, it might be the power supply, have you tried swapping that as well? Also unlikely but possible, is a thermal issue. If your bios has temp monitoring, you may want to check your temps after the next lockup/POST to see if they seem extremely high. Is there any other hardware that hasn't been switched out yet?

Back