Can't install Windows XP, bluescreen.

Kanaric

Limp Gawd
System specs
AMD Athlon II 250
asus Sabertooth 990FX
ATI 6870
SATA Hard drive.

Set hard drives to IDE mode in bios, after windows setup loads the drivers and it goes to "starting windows setup" it bluescreens after a little while. I have tried for hours and plenty of bios settings and CANNOT figure this out. This system MUST be XP.

Tried server 2003 as well, same thing.

Any suggestions?
edit: this happens to two identical computers with same setup

I need you to tell me the error code you get on a blue screen, if you hit F8 when it goes to boot you should be able to stop auto restart.

What size is the sata hard drive?

Yep; can't help at all without the stop error. The most common error I've seen with XP/2003 setup BSoDing is Stop 0x0000007B. This means you need a have a floppy with the Mass Storage Controller on it, and you need to tell WinXP to use this driver.

The only other error I've seen during setup was bad hardware (RAM is the usual culprit) or too big of an overclock.

But definitely respond back with the stop error and you'll get more specific assistance.

I need you to tell me the error code you get on a blue screen, if you hit F8 when it goes to boot you should be able to stop auto restart.

What size is the sata hard drive?

250gb drive.

I'll get the error code next time I get home, at work. Thanks for the help.

This means you need a have a floppy with the Mass Storage Controller on it
My boards don't support floppy but I can probably integrate the drivers into the install if this is the problem. Havn't had to do that in a while.

If the error code is different than what you posted i'll post it if not then thx for that.

If you're in IDE mode and you can see the hard drive on the screen where you select disk, you shouldn't need more storage drivers. However, never say never, but I just don't see many IDE storage drivers being passed around now days. The one built into Windows should be good enough. If this board is a very old chipset, where Sata was still an add-on controller, even in IDE mode it may need a better driver. I recommend integrating with nLite.

If you're in IDE mode and you can see the hard drive on the screen where you select disk, you shouldn't need more storage drivers. However, never say never, but I just don't see many IDE storage drivers being passed around now days. The one built into Windows should be good enough. If this board is a very old chipset, where Sata was still an add-on controller, even in IDE mode it may need a better driver. I recommend integrating with nLite.

The problem is that I can't get that far at all, before it gets to that point install blue screens.

Create the F6 floppy driver disk and use AHCI mode. (Why you'd want IDE mode is beyond me.)

The problem is that I can't get that far at all, before it gets to that point install blue screens.

You need another PC to integrate drivers with NLite.

Create the F6 floppy driver disk and use AHCI mode. (Why you'd want IDE mode is beyond me.)
This. The IDE mode generally works OK, but its a workaround at best for people who don't know how or don't want to mess with loading SATA drivers. The Windows installer is actually one of the best tools for finding bugs or weak hardware, set it to AHCI and try the proper driver, if it still bluescreens you likely have a piece of bad hardware somewhere.

Yep; can't help at all without the stop error. The most common error I've seen with XP/2003 setup BSoDing is Stop 0x0000007B. This means you need a have a floppy with the Mass Storage Controller on it, and you need to tell WinXP to use this driver.

The only other error I've seen during setup was bad hardware (RAM is the usual culprit) or too big of an overclock.

But definitely respond back with the stop error and you'll get more specific assistance.

In my experience, if the drives require an additional driver, it will will not recognize any drives. The setup stops, not bsod, just stops.

Kanaric-

No raid card, or other controller on the mb?

In my experience, if the drives require an additional driver, it will will not recognize any drives. The setup stops, not bsod, just stops.

Kanaric-

No raid card, or other controller on the mb?

It depends on the installation method, but you are correct -- if you're doing a straight up install, it won't blue screen. If you're deploying a syspreped installation, it will blue screen.

I've spent too much time deploying WinXP via Config Manager....

The board just has SATA and the raid that comes with having that. No other controller.

The blue screen code I get is 0x0000007B

Slipstreamed AHCI and controller drivers using nlite and it still crashes.

This is where i'm getting my drivers from, so far only picked the hard disk related drivers idk if anything else could cause this.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/SABERTOOTH_990FX/#download

I'm going to try chipset drivers added in next to see if that works.

Make a smaller partition, try 127gb max. start with that and see. Windows XP can be picky, and not wish to be installed on much larger. I just did 2 systems similar to yours last week and same issues.

Make a smaller partition, try 127gb max. start with that and see. Windows XP can be picky, and not wish to be installed on much larger. I just did 2 systems similar to yours last week and same issues.
Can't get that far, before this comes up it bluescreens

Slipstream the ahci drivers with nlite, install windows and call it a day.
already did

It's been a while since I've used nLite -- but are there two different places for drivers? What you need to do is get the textmode drivers in your installation. If the driver doesn't have a file called txtsetup.oem, then it's not a textmode setup driver and won't work. It needs to have this file.

Area you plugged into the JMicron controller or the native Sata ports? Make sure you're plugging into the native sata ports.

Extract the drivers you linked to. From nlite drivers, press insert. Setlect textmode setup, then navigate to the folder ahci/xp/ from nLite (contains textsetup.oem). Make sure you click the actual chipset you want to insert.

Back