Can't install windows 7 SP1

ep3w

Gawd
I first discovered the issue when the machine wouldn't install SP1 with the error 0x80073701 ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING. So I downloaded the system update readiness tool and here is what the error is:

Code:
=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.21645
Package Version 13.0
2012-02-18 19:03

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store
(f)	CSI Payload File Missing	0x00000000	wuauclt.exe	x86_microsoft-windows-w..wsupdateclient-core_31bf3856ad364e35_7.3.7600.16385_none_3086c9dad36a69b3	

Summary:
Seconds executed: 986
 Found 1 errors
  CSI Payload File Missing Total count: 1

The file is physically there. Now it appears that this error is linked to something in the operating system that allows it to install .msu files. (This link provides the best explanation i've found) I've noticed some things that use the .net framework (such as Microsoft fix it) will not work and its consistent to the mscoree.dll file being version 2.x instead of 4.x like that article says. The .net framework will install fine but won't update this file (it requires the .msu stuff as does SP1 installer) but doesnt give an error.

sfc /scannow runs fine with no errors. I've tried reinstalling .net framework. I've tried updating the windows install service via this. Any other ideas on how to fix this? Some updates install fine, some don't (SP1 and nvidia drive for example). It seems that something is preventing it from installing .msu files.

I wonder if trying to do a upgrade install of windows 7 overtop of your current one would act differently.

If you can get ahold of an install DVD for windows 7 with sp1 already installed, you could try to do an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 7 w/ SP1 and see what happens.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee619779(v=WS.10).aspx

here is another site with some info. One of the solutions it has is to copy the files from another machine running the same version of windows.

Try restoring the computer far enough back until you don't encounter this error, then try reinstalling.
you can also try a repair install of windows, (run the windows disc from inside the OS and select repair from the installer).
Other than that, you may have to install windows fresh.

Which file are you looking for?

I have a feeling it's looking for this one:
x86_microsoft-windows-w..wsupdateclient-core_31bf3856ad364e35_7.3.7600.16385_none_3086c9dad36a69b3

It should be in the C:\Windows\sxs folder. You are running an x86 version of windows, correct?

I have had this happen before... I ended up messing with it for a while then finally just reloaded.

Such a pain in the ass. Just install all updates before doing ANYTHING.

Did you attempt to modify any of your c:\Windows folders? Also, did you download the entire package, or try to upgrade through Windows Update? Sometimes it's easier to use the entire package because it includes the prerequisite files.

I've tried both via windows update and just downloading SP1 separately. System restore is no help. I've only got remote access to the machine for now so trying to avoid doing an in-place upgrade or format but may be the only option...

I've replaced the files as you guys suggested until the update readiness tool no longer gives an errors but SP1 still will not install with the same missing assemblies error. Also .net framework will still not update that mscoree.dll file. Any other ideas?

I'm no expert with the side by side assemblies, but I would expect that you'd have to register it with windows in order to get everything to see it properly...

Back