Can't install Vista Beta 2

Zorn

Limp Gawd
I have been trying to install Vista Beta 2 without any success since I got it. I have had this exact same problem with 5365 and 5381. When I "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD" the grey loading bar comes up, and after a few passes, it just completely freezes and locks up. I also tried doing an upgrade install, and after going through the part inside XP, it reboots, and again freezes on the progress bar.

My system specs are in my sig, and I have tried the following without success:

Switching to just 1 GPU without SLI

Unplugging all SATA drives except my Raptor

Removing Creative X-Fi

I still have the exact same problem after trying all of that. That grey status bar just moves a few times then freezes.

If anyone has ANY ideas at all, please share. I would really like to get Vista installed, and I'm at a loss for why this is happening. Surely my system is more than adequate to handle it. Thanks

I posted in another thread about the problem of installing Vista Beta 2 from certain CD ROM's...try your DVD player/whatever I had to try 3 separate CD ROMs and 2 DVD players before I could install Vista. After I found one it would accept, the installation was straightforward and simple.

Well I've tried from my DVD-ROM and my DVD/RW without success..

It definitely did NOT like the NEC 3500A of mine in a USB enclosure. Would BSOD on me not to far into setup.

Gonna bump this since 5456 didn't work either, same exact issue. Anyone have any ideas?

Well, you have SLI, and I have Crossfire. It will not install with both cards in. Taking one card out, and it installed fine. Not sure if our problems were related, but worth a shot I guess.

I had trouble, but I used a virtual drive to install because it refused to install with my CD drive...after it copies the files over to wherever it is installing, the first reboot happens, at which point the install medium isn't needed anymore.

fallguy said:
Well, you have SLI, and I have Crossfire. It will not install with both cards in. Taking one card out, and it installed fine. Not sure if our problems were related, but worth a shot I guess.

I have tried taking a card out and I still had the exact same error.

I assume you are not overclocking anything, or if you are that you tried reverting to stock settings for the purpose of installing?

I don't think I remember seeing what kind of motherboard you had?

Voidz said:
I assume you are not overclocking anything, or if you are that you tried reverting to stock settings for the purpose of installing?

I don't think I remember seeing what kind of motherboard you had?

A 55mhz OC on the CPU, which is all it will take, but yes I've turned that off and tried with the same results. My mobo is the EVGA nForce4 SLI.

Back