Can't install r9 290 gpu drivers

etegv

Limp Gawd
I driver installation seems to crash after it tries to install the display drivers. Anybody know what I can do? I reinstalled wndows/ran DDU, and it did not work

thanks

Sorry, I had a r9 290 work on this system before.

16gb Ram
XFX r9 290
windows 8 32 bit

Seems like this is a fairly common issue online. I don't know what to do.

How can I try different drivers? Should I try the drivrs for 8.1?

download one of the older 17 series drivers run ddu and then install those. then install the newest over top the 17 series. see if that helps.
you can get the drivers on amd.com, on the right side of the driver section it will have an "older drivers" link.

download one of the older 17 series drivers run ddu and then install those. then install the newest over top the 17 series. see if that helps.
you can get the drivers on amd.com, on the right side of the driver section it will have an "older drivers" link.

ok, thank you

I will try that right now, and report back. Appreciate this suggestion.

And make sure you choose the 32 bit drivers, as I see your running Windows 8 32bit w/16GB of RAM......

I ran DDU, and I tried to install this driver
https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous/detail?os=Windows 8 - 32&rev=13.12

So the monitor goes to a blue screen, and then it says "No signal detected" and then shuts off when the installation tries to install the display driver. The monitor goes black.

The card seems to work fine, but the monitor shuts down when it tries to install the display driver. This makes no sense.

should i try the beta bios? I have an asrock z87 killer, and I noticed they released a beta bios for it a few months ago.

Are you really running win8 32 but? And if so, why??

desperation. I couldnt find my 8.1 cd

and do you guys know if the drivers get installed after the screen goes black? The screen goes black after it tries to install the display driver, but if I am not sure what is going on after it goes black.

Are you sure the card is good \ have you tested it in another machine?

I have seen bad GPUs that work fine with generic windows drives but wont run with their actual drivers installed. (presumably activates \ utilizes parts of that card that don't work properly. ) I have a 750ti in the recycle pile right now with the same issue.

Are you sure the card is good \ have you tested it in another machine?

I have seen bad GPUs that work fine with generic windows drives but wont run with their actual drivers installed. (presumably activates \ utilizes parts of that card that don't work properly. ) I have a 750ti in the recycle pile right now with the same issue.

I have yet to try it on a different machine. I have read people say that it could be a bad gpu, but I just want to exhaust all options before I come to that conclusion. A ton of people online have the same issue, I just hope that there is something out there that I can try.

I did the ddu/fresh install of windows. Tried to install old drivers.

I am going to try this next

Here's what I do. Install the latest drivers and expect the screen to go blank. Wait 5 minutes for installation to complete once the screen has gone blank, press the restart button. Keep pressing F8 during boot up to activate the safe mode boot options, Start safe mode with networking, (Log in) Start -> right click computer -> Manage -> Device Manager -> Display Addapters -> Right click your graphics card and sellect properties -> Drivers tab at top -> Roll Back Driver -> Click yes. Once complete reboot PC. Load Windows normally, once loaded (Log in) Start -> right click computer -> Manage -> Device Manager -> Display Addapters -> Right click your graphics card and sellect properties -> Drivers tab at top -> Update Driver -> Search automatically for updated driver. The PC should now find the latest driver and install it and the best part is that the screen does not go black. Hope this helps.

Download Windows 8.1 64 bit media from a Microsoft and quit messing around with the 32 bit version as well.

Be sure you're not running an old installation of something like MSI Afterburner/rivatuner on startup that is messing with the clocks when drivers are installed.
Try just installing the default windows AMD drivers by UPDATING DRIVERS in device manager and see if you can at least get that far before downloading/installing drivers on your own.

I had the same problem with my 290 a few years back. I removed the card, booted windows without it. Shut down. Installed the card and booted windows and had a successful install of the drivers.

tried pretty much everything on this site

can this card be used for mining if you can't install the drivers for it?

I want to sell it. Thanks.

Try windows 10? idk....glad to see that chip running though still, powerful with ddr3, right board huge clock that chip.

Try windows 10? idk....glad to see that chip running though still, powerful with ddr3, right board huge clock that chip.

the thing is, I read that the card might have issues with windows 10. If it doesn't work in windows 8, I doubt it will work on windows 10. I don't know anymore..

I just need to know if it can be used to mining. I'd like to sell this card and get a little bit of money back.

Or is it possible to contact xfx? I bought this card off Craigslist, so I am not sure if they will honor the warranty.

the thing is, I read that the card might have issues with windows 10. If it doesn't work in windows 8, I doubt it will work on windows 10. I don't know anymore..

I just need to know if it can be used to mining. I'd like to sell this card and get a little bit of money back.

Or is it possible to contact xfx? I bought this card off Craigslist, so I am not sure if they will honor the warranty.

Where did you read that it won't work on windows 10? I'm using 2x R9 290 both on windows 10 (tried all version from 15xx to 1709) and they're gaming happily and yes they can be use in mining.

Where did you read that it won't work on windows 10? I'm using 2x R9 290 both on windows 10 (tried all version from 15xx to 1709) and they're gaming happily and yes they can be use in mining.

I read that windows 10 will not fix the error that I am having with this card.

The card powers on, but I can't seem to install the drivers. So I need to know if the card can be used for mining without the gpu drivers.

There's a toggle switch above the card that switches bios. You might want to toggle to the other direction and hopefully the one you bought from craigslist only used 1 bios as he might have used it for mining already. No you need GPU drivers to mine.

There's a toggle switch above the card that switches bios. You might want to toggle to the other direction and hopefully the one you bought from craigslist only used 1 bios as he might have used it for mining already. No you need GPU drivers to mine.

I have the xfx double dissipation r9 290, and I couldn't find the switch. I had an older r9 290 that had the switch on the side.

upload_2018-3-18_19-58-29.png

This ? It's very small though.

Oh snap

Let me check. Couldn't find it

I am hovering right above the switch (I am standing front of the power connector). The switch is on the left side right now, should it be on the right?

is the picture correct? because the switch is closer to the fc

thanks

Last edited:
You need to toggle it on the other direction just to check whether you can initialize and use the other bios. Just be sure to turn off everything when you toggle the bios switch. If this method didn't work have you tried it to install to another PC ? Did he mention on craigslist that he used the card for mining ?

You need to toggle it on the other direction just to check whether you can initialize and use the other bios. Just be sure to turn off everything when you toggle the bios switch. If this method didn't work have you tried it to install to another PC ? Did he mention on craigslist that he used the card for mining ?

I haven't tried it on a different PC, but I doubt that will work. It seems like a fairly common issue on the internet with no real solution. I don't have another PC to ttry it out on, but I'll call my friend and see if he can help me out.

I used an r9 290 on this PC for a very long time. I am using my friend's 6950 with no issues (just installed the drivers about an hour ago). So it seems like the video card is the problem. Everything turns on, but the monitor shuts off when the driver tries to install the display driver. So bizarre.

No mention of mining in the add. He did tell me that I might run into this issue. I just figured why not try it out and see what happens...

Well he might already known the issue and sold the card just to get his hands off it? Like Kardonxt said it might be good on windows driver but if you try to install the GPU driver it just turned dead. Afaik those card only carries limited warranty and it might not be transferable ?So if the result is the same with your friend and it won't install you might want to contact the seller ?

Well he might already known the issue and sold the card just to get his hands off it? Like Kardonxt said it might be good on windows driver but if you try to install the GPU driver it just turned dead. Afaik those card only carries limited warranty and it might not be transferable ?So if the result is the same with your friend and it won't install you might want to contact the seller ?

I am not sure if that would be the right thing to do. In the ad, he stated that microsoft display adapter did not recognize the GPU. I looked online and saw a couple of people say that it could be a windows 10 issue. I have windows 8, so I said why not..

I was kind of desperate because it's hard to find a GPU at a decent price.

Would you contact the seller?

Should I contact XFX? I'd be a customer for life if they can help me out..

I don't know what to do, this whole thing sucks..

I don't think it was windows 10 and afaik the thread was closed and most of the people in the thread requested to RMA their cards. I been using my R290 (xfx reference cards ) from windows 8 (that's since beta ) till I upgraded to windows 10 and so far haven't had any issues.

You might have bought a dead card already if it fails installing on another PC? Not sure the seller can issue a refund and send the card back? haven't bought anything from craigslist.

You might also want to ask the seller if he registered the product ?

here's XFX warranty.

http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/support/xfx-warranty

1. Double Dissipation (dual fan) models can receive Limited Lifetime with registration within 30 days of purchase.

You can’t use the card for mining if you can’t install the driver. I hope you paid $20 for that GPU because you likely got sold a dead card (which was conveniently left out of the original messages in this thread). It’s a waste of people’s time to start the thread without mentioning that.

Beyond that, you are doing some weird shit that isn’t helping. Like refusing to try a 64 bit OS while using 16 GB RAM.

Also you seem to think this is common, however it really isn’t. Just because you found other people with the issue doesn’t mean this is a regular thing.

Quick recap. Problem is not windows 10-8-7 related. Card can't be mined on without drivers. Problem may look common because of all the 290s mined to death on x11 \ x13.

If the seller you bought it from said they only tested it with out drivers and there was issue with it you're boned. It doesnt hurt to at least try returning the card. Otherwise re-list it with and honest description and get some of your money back.

Moving forward. GTX 780 \ 780ti are similar performance and were never viable for mining so likely a better choice if looking for used cards.

You can’t use the card for mining if you can’t install the driver. I hope you paid $20 for that GPU because you likely got sold a dead card (which was conveniently left out of the original messages in this thread). It’s a waste of people’s time to start the thread without mentioning that.

Beyond that, you are doing some weird shit that isn’t helping. Like refusing to try a 64 bit OS while using 16 GB RAM.

Also you seem to think this is common, however it really isn’t. Just because you found other people with the issue doesn’t mean this is a regular thing.

what difference would 64 bit make? It should just be plug and play. But I'll try.
If you go online, a ton of people have this issue. I didn't see a lot of dead gpu replies.
https://www.google.com/search?q=amd....69i57j0l2.12943j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I mentioned that I could not install the driver, and I asked for suggestions. I wanted to try it out and see for my self. I just asked for ways to install gpu drivers for this card.

If anybody has suggestions, please I'd appreciate it

thanks

Quick recap. Problem is not windows 10-8-7 related. Card can't be mined on without drivers. Problem may look common because of all the 290s mined to death on x11 \ x13.

If the seller you bought it from said they only tested it with out drivers and there was issue with it you're boned. It doesnt hurt to at least try returning the card. Otherwise re-list it with and honest description and get some of your money back.

Moving forward. GTX 780 \ 780ti are similar performance and were never viable for mining so likely a better choice if looking for used cards.

I don't think he mined with the card because he seemed like a young college kid, but who knows.

This is my recap:
AMd is known to have bad drivers. Did a search, found people with this issue
I clicked around, I clicked the toms hardware link
https://www.google.com/search?ei=zc...10i30k1j0i13i30k1j33i22i29i30k1.0.I2-TPdKsV30

The guy said that he couldn't get it to work in windows 10. Online, I saw that suggestions where people said that it could be a windows 10 compatibility issue. I have windows 8, so I wanted to try it out.

So I just wanted to try something. It's hard to find a gpu at a decent price. I want to try everything before I can safely say the card is dead.

Last edited:
I don't think he mined with the card because he seemed like a young college kid, but who knows.

Wot da fuq??? Now all the sudden Crypto is an old man's sport? Why wasn't I told about this?!?

Wot da fuq??? Now all the sudden Crypto is an old man's sport? Why wasn't I told about this?!?

Crypto isn't free. It costs money, and college is expensive. But I know, some kids come from money. I get it.

Crypto isn't free. It costs money, and college is expensive. But I know, some kids come from money. I get it.

Wow. This whole time I thought Crypto was about using the hardware you already owned to turn a profit, now it seems you must have money to make money...smh.

Back