Can't install new OS? Very wierd issue

Tbolt

Limp Gawd
So I have been trying to install a new OS as I am doin a mini-rebuild today (i7/p6t/6gb ram) and sadly can't be using windows XP any more. I have tried multiple builds of windows 7 and two versions of vista ultimate but every time I get them to boot I see this screen after it says "loading windows files"
IMG_1836Medium.jpg

This is something I have never seen before.

I wonder if it could be:
1.) My dvd burner(i doubt this)
2.) My method of burning - I used nero and burn at 2x after a fresh restart and minimal processes running.
3.) My hardware?

Please help, I don't want to be gimped because I can't get a new OS running. I am in the process of dl'n the latest RC for windows 7 and will try that out.

looks like a bad video card... or bent monitor pin/s. I've seen this 'color bleed' effect with an overheating system as well.

hmmm thats interesting but the video card is not even 2 months old (9800gtx) and im using it right now. it ONLY does that when I try to install a new OS.

Although it's highly unlikely, if you suspect your optical drive or optical disc might be the problem, try installing the OS from a USB thumbdrive to eliminate those two from the equation, but don't copy the files from the DVD you created if you think it was a bad burn.

I also suspect the gfx card, the problem occurs when the driver is running which uses much more of the cards hardware and increases the load on the card.
Try the card in another PC.

So what can I do? my gfx card works fine otherwise. im using it right now

Grab ubuntu 9.04 from their site and see if a live boot off the disk does the same thing.

Or if you have an older knoppix disk lying around you could try that too.

Back