Can't install FSX. Help, please!

Pegi

Limp Gawd
Just got the FSX deluxe dvd. It won't install. The installer starts to go through its routine and then finally fails to a 1628: Failed to install error message. I've gone to the installshield site and downloaded their most recent installer, went to Microsoft and downloaded their most recent installer, and it hasn't made any difference. I've googled and noted a few other people with this error but no real solution. Any suggestions--short of reformatting--would be very welcome. I have winXP.

Would you happen to have Vista as an OS?

I had install problems with that one. Went back to XP and install was fine.

Nope, no Vista here. Good ol' XP Professional. I'm also administrator, so that's not the problem. It's all in the installer software--I've got to be missing something. I wonder if anyone knows if I need to have already installed a particular version of .net framework or something like that?

there was a similar problem i had when i tried to install graw. try renaming the install shield folder in your prog files/common files/install. the program your trying to install will make a new install shield folder. supposedly a run time error issue with windows and software or something of the sort. hope this helps.

got this from another forum
"After searching for a solution in Macrovision KB, we found many possible causes and solutions. In most cases with our installers it turns out, that the <CommonFiles>\InstallShield\Professional\Runtime\0701 runtime files are corrupted possibly from some previous 3rd party installations (we don't get -6001 error on any of our test machines). Deleting these files did the job, and we were able to install our product."

That was a very worthwhile suggestion, Kamiux, but it didn't change a thing. I'm still getting that same error message. I must be missing a core file somewhere; maybe something that got uninstalled or deleted by another program. Wish there were a way to figure out what it is. Just don't feel up to throwing in the towel and reformatting. If anyone has any thoughts, would be grateful.

I had a problem installing in Vista, it turned out it was my DVD drive. It was a BEN-Q. If you have a spare drive laying around, I would try that.

NastySavage, I wonder if you might be right. I just had the idea to try installing another dvd game (I just happened to buy 2 dvd games the other day) that I had already successfully installed on another computer. At first, it seemed to start the install process just fine but after a few minutes it locked up and stopped responding. When I checked out the Event Viewer, it was *filled* with about 2 dozen red X's with various cdrom errors, things like bad block in device, controller failure, error detected on device, etc. It's gotta be a failing drive. I'll have to see if Velocity comes through with a replacement.

Colbyman, it was good of you to look up that listing, but as you guessed I went through it all and then again for good measure. If my drive is indeed bad, I could have gone through the list yet again and still come out no better!

Once I get another drive installed, I'll update for those who google with the same problem.

NastySavage, I wonder if you might be right. I just had the idea to try installing another dvd game (I just happened to buy 2 dvd games the other day) that I had already successfully installed on another computer. At first, it seemed to start the install process just fine but after a few minutes it locked up and stopped responding. When I checked out the Event Viewer, it was *filled* with about 2 dozen red X's with various cdrom errors, things like bad block in device, controller failure, error detected on device, etc. It's gotta be a failing drive. I'll have to see if Velocity comes through with a replacement.

Colbyman, it was good of you to look up that listing, but as you guessed I went through it all and then again for good measure. If my drive is indeed bad, I could have gone through the list yet again and still come out no better!

Once I get another drive installed, I'll update for those who google with the same problem.

BTW, I am seeing this as a common problem with Vista and the ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe. If you have that board, I guarentee you that is the problem. I will not buy another ASUS board again...their support is shit and they dropped the ball for Vista I.M.O.

Just an update for those who were kind enough to offer advice--and for anyone googling with a similar problem--it was, indeed, the dvd drive. Velocity Micro shipped me out another dvd burner 2 day air and I did the swapout. Immediately upon putting the FSX dvd in the drive, the installation program started and it installed and went through authorization without any problems whatsoever. It was an odd diagnosis, I gotta say...since the drive played/installed all cd games without problem, never gave a thought to the dvd part of it not working correctly. But that was it!

Back