Can't install drivers for Xonar STX?

shawnoen

[H]ard|Gawd
Just got my Xonar STX today from Newegg.

I uninstalled the Realtek drivers from my EVGA Classified board, rebooted into safe mode and used drive sweeper to ensure they were gone as well as disabled onboard sound in the bios.

I downloaded the most current drivers from ASUS direct in the form of a RAR file. Unzipped to a folder and tried running setup.

When I run setup.exe I get an error that says "Windows cannot find Cmeauvista64.exe" Even though its right there in the folder.

I tried burning the RAR contents to a CD and letting it autorun and get the same error.

Tried downloading a previous driver version and get the same error.

WTF?

I can go into device manager and select the folder I unpacked the RAR files too and the driver seems to install because audio starts working, but it doesn't install any other software at all including the control panel.

This is my 1st soundcard and complete BS. Very 1st ASUS product and I haven't had any problems installing anything else on my PC EVER.

Well just got off the phone with ASUS support and they told me not compatible with Windows 7......what a waste of time that was.

The card works for many people in Windows 7, I assure you.

If the drivers on your CD are not working try this link for the ASUS unified drivers. I am no longer a fan of user-created driver packs because the companies that make the drivers can no longer be sure if its driver is causing a problem or if the user created driver is doing it.

Download these for Windows 7 for whichever build you have, 32 or 64 bit, and give them a shot.

If these work then you know your card works and support at ASUS was mistaken or misread your issue.

Just installed the unified drivers and everything is working fine! Thanks!

Stupid default ASUS drivers. Setup.exe was looking for the Cmeauvista64.exe in another folder called Programs. So I created that folder and put the exe in there. Then it started working but stopped because it couldn't detect the card for some reason.....

Only thing now, in my device manager under sound it shows the ASUS Xonar STX and 8 other "High Definition Audio Device" entries.

I uninstalled my Realtek drivers before starting all this and also DISABLED onboard sound.

I can uninstall the 8 entries in the Device Manager but everytime I reboot Windows 7 re-installs them.

Just figured out its the 4 per card HD audio controllers on my pair of GTX570s...no way to disable them!

Sure there is. Just right click them and disable them. You dont use them so they are not needed for anything. I do not use mine on my Radeon either. I just disable it and do not think about it. Then select your Essence and choose it as default.

Reinstall your drivers and you should be good to go.

You can disable it but everytime windows reboots it will reinstall them.

I said disable them, not uninstall them. I have had my HDMI audio from ATI Radeon 5850 disabled for months and it never defaults to my primary sound device or anything else.

I also had a C-Media based sound card in my machine along with a Creative sound card and the two existed simultaneously without conflict.

Back